1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Sluggish Interactive FOW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ncassella, Jun 17, 2016.

1. ncassella

ncassella Member

Played my first session with the shadow casting.

5 players
    24 Polygons (8 walls 2 edges, 14 masks)
    map 47x47
    3 moving sources of light (pcs)
    3 static sources of light (outside and fire pits)

internet speed test by OOKLA puts me at 91.83mbps up and 80.62mbps down

My players did nothing but complain on how slow the program reacted, to the point where it slowed down the game to a crawl, and I had to delete all the FOW in order to play. Once the FOW was gone, everything worked correctly lighting included.

Is there a specific # of regions that you can have with shadow casting before it starts to get screwy? I think it had to be something with the regions just based off of me deleting them caused everything to work again.

Attached Files:

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

What version are you running, Nathan?, there was a fairly sever light bug, in the non latest beta that could cause what you saw. Also could you attach the game log to a reply from that game session?

3. ncassella

ncassella Member

Hey Krillion,

It's 3.6.4
    There are 3 of the 5 players are on Mac I don't think I included that in the original post.

I hope this is the game log you were looking for.

Attached Files:

4. ncassella

ncassella Member

Got a session coming up next Thursday, anything on this, is it my issue with the polygon count, or the amount of knots? located on the map, or is this related to the bug you mentioned?

5. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

I do believe there is a light bug in the version you are using, it's corrected in the later betas and should resolve for you wtih the current build that is coming out very very soon..

6. ncassella

ncassella Member

Cool sounds good, i'll ditch the light in this weeks session. thanks

7. Mickey

Mickey Member

Sorry to resurrect this but, it's the same problem so I figured no point starting a new thread.
    The exact same thing as in the OP happened tonight. Things slowed down to almost a complete standstill until I deleted all the FOW. The difference between me and the OP, though, was that I was running a game at the table, with 2 PCs connected with a crossover cable. Running the current version (3.6.6) of D20Pro. 4 players, each with a light source. I know it wasn't the computers not being able to cope - I was running an i7 4690k @4 GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX980 graphics and the client PC was an i5 @2.8GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX580 graphics - which I would think is more than enough to handle D20Pro.

8. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

T (Owlbear) was commenting on this in another thread..

http://forums.mesamundi.com/index.php?threads/rolling-back-to-old-version.3427/#post-13693

9. Mickey

Mickey Member

OK, I just checked that thread and it confused the hell out of me. The last post, by Owlbear, menations alpha blending. Other posts in the thread are about save rolls not calculating properly - it's all over the place.

Can I assume, from the final post, that this (my and the OP's issue, here) is a known issue and it's being fixed in the next build? Or did I read that post all wrong?

10. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

That about sums it up.

11. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

You are correct Mickey, Owlbear is indeed aware of and working on the issue.

12. Mickey

Mickey Member

Righto. All good then.