1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

spells and classes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Devil Dog, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Much of the discussion in this thread is beyond my comprehension, so I am not sure if my issue is the same or similar. I imported a bard from PcGen into both version 3.6.6 and 3.6.9 yet it did not recognize any of the spells. I click to edit and choose the spell tab; the window for spells is blank and it won't let me add any to the list. I also used the 'create' button to create a bard character in D20pro and the same thing happens. I am able to add attacks, edit stats, choose a class, add items, etc. yet I cannot add any spells.
    We are new to D20pro, trying to set up our first campaign. But keep hitting various road blocks. Any ideas for a quick fix to this problem in laymen's terms?

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I've moved this post from its original thread, since it didn't have anything to do with that topic (a graphics error on radion GPUs).

when you created your campaign did you select a game system such as 3.5 or pathfinder? mind attaching you classes.txt and spells.txt from your campaign folder here?

they are located in <d20pro install dir>/judge/<your campaign name>/res/manuallyspecified/

see also: WIki Manuallyspecified

3. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Alright, I've attached the two files below. Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

ok now we know you are working with a good data set and the issue isn't something in that regard. ok couple questions..

when you click the spells tab on the character, did you select his available spells ?

for either sorcerer or wizard you select the spells tab, then click edit which will produce a screen such this one.

d20spells.jpg

here you'll double click on a spell from spells possible list to move it to spells known list.

for wizard you'll need to set what he has memorized for the day.

d20spellswiz.jpg

You'll click on a line under the level which will then show a drop list from you known spells for you to choice from..

The last step, once the lists are populated would be to rest the character so he is fresh up for the day on his daily allotment of spells, by hitting the Rest button beside Edit button there under the spell list.

at this point you should be able to cast away....

5. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

thanks. that did the trick. I wasn't double clicking. However, I do have one bug to report. When I click on the spell tab (looking at the Bard) the chart of number of spells/day by level 0 through nine incorrectly lists 20 for 0 level and only 2 for 1st level. I am unable to go in and edit these numbers to change them. However, this is not a problem in that they are not functioning. I am able to enter any number of spells I wish at the various levels.

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

which class are you referring to? that info is set in the classes.txt file..

7. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

So far I have only tried it with a Bard character. Maybe I am confusing spells known rather than spells per day. If the chart in the bottom of the spells tab is for spells per day, then it is basically correct as they are allowed unlimited 0 level casting while only 1 (plus CHA bonus of 1 more) of 1st level to make a total of 2.
    So if this is correct, the only mechanic at issue is being allowed to enter more spells known then one is allowed.

8. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

yes, the chart on the bottom is spells per day. it's what you have left of your allotment from the last time you rested.