1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Statuses, Conditions and Spell Effects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Belryan, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Belryan

Belryan New Member

Hello,

I've been using D20Pro for about a year now to run a Pathfinder AP and generally like the product more and more as I figure things out. One thing that is puzzling me though, are statuses, conditions, and the like.

For instance, I can select a token, hit U, and select "Sickened." In game, under Pathfinder rules, this should result in: "An entangled creature moves at half speed, cannot run or charge, and takes a –2 penalty on all attack rolls and a –4 penalty to Dexterity. An entangled character who attempts to cast a spell must make a concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) or lose the spell."

However, I don't see any actual mechanical changes within d20Pro - attack rolls are not given a -2 penalty, and Dexterity is not reduced by 4. The only thing I can see is that there is a little marker to remind me that he is entangled, but there's no way of setting a duration for these status icons, as far as I can tell?

Do I therefore need to create a new "Active Effect," and apply it to that creature to indicate that he is Entangled?
    To do that, I select Active Effects, create new, and I see now that I am able to save and load certain effects. Is this the best way to apply statuses?

To follow up on that, what is the best way to handle poison? I can create an ongoing condition, but I don't see a way of rolling ability damage. If a poison does 1d4 dex damage, is there a way of automating that, or do I need to create a whole bunch of different conditions, for -1 dex damage, -2 dex damage, -3 dex, and -4? And then every round apply the appropriate effect? This seems like it would rapidly fill up my dropdown of statuses/effects to select.

Thoughts?

2. Belryan

Belryan New Member

As a followup question, what are some of the best ways to implement the following effects:

Haste gives +1 to attack rolls, +1 dodge to AC, and an extra attack at the highest BAB. Is there a way of quickly applying a status like this, or do I need to build all my creatures with extra stated attacks like "+1 Longsword, w/ Haste."

Similarly, with things like Rapid Shot, which allow two attacks at the same (but reduced) attack roll. Do I need to build those attacks into the Attack Stats seperately as well?

3. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

At this time, Status icons are just a visual reminder. You'd need to create an Ability/Effect and apply it to the character in question to reflect what it is your trying to do. There are some situations and mechanics that will require you do them adjustments by hand on the fly in the situation.

Again you would create an Ability/Effect to reflect the changes to Attacks and AC. And you are correct, you would need to also create an Additional Attack as in your example "+1 Longsword, w/ Haste."

4. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

One thing I've picked up from playing with Krilion is making a DM Assistant token that you keep invisible on an encounter map. You can set up abilities on it to apply the negative effects of the conditions and to set timers for the conditions (if any). ie. for the entangled condition, it can apply the -2 to hit and the -4 Dex. The concentration effect is just something you and the player will have to remember, with the handy aid of the status marker.

A status marker for the "poisoned" condition. Then when they take the damage, apply it through an ability on your DM Assistant token. Roll the damage in the core dice and apply it through the ability.

Re: Haste. Personally, I wouldn't create an extra Haste attack...depending on the character, they may already have 3+ pages of attacks (ie: my two weapon rogue). You can just as easily submit all your normal attacks, then submit the highest BAB attack after. ie: say you have a Longsword with three attacks normally at +11 +6 +1. I'd submit the three attacks, then submit another attack with the +11 (if I was in Pathfinder/3.5).

Hope that helps.

5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm hoping to roll out the beta for the feature library functionality in the next couple of weeks -- maybe a public beta in time for Turkey? (for the Americans anyway)

Basically, the feature library lets you attach spell effects or special abilities to conditions, among other things. So if you cast slow on a creature, the creature's movement is impaired AND the condition for slow can be applied to give a visual reference at the same time.

More to come as we get a bit further along. You can do a lot of this through Special Abilities on the hidden "GM" creature now. Also you can create an effect from the "Active Effects" panel. However, since the current system doesn't let you save/load very easily -- something fixed in the Feature Library -- this is less useful than an invisible Dungeon Master.

upload_2016-11-9_15-2-6.png (this is the image I use for my invisible DM creature)

upload_2016-11-9_15-0-57.png

6. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I am very excited about this for our users, it really is quite awesome and it is going to be very refreshing and helpful making a lot of thing that could be done previously but that were a little clunky, very easy and fluid now...

7. ncassella

ncassella Member

Yeah I'm actually very excited to get my hands on this as well I can't wait to start building out spell effects [finally :)]

8. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

Mine is: user137.png