1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

The Crawl II

Discussion in 'Pathfinder' started by Devil Dog, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

I just recently downloaded the Crawl II from the Marketplace. I received the map; however, there are no handouts to accompany it. Should there be? Is this simply a map populated with creatures, or is there some story behind it? And if no story, something describing the various rooms and battle tactics of the creatures?

2. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

The Crawl II is populated maps. I'll pull the adventure again and check for player characters, but yeah, the Crawl events are straight up, explore the dungeon and survive.

Clearly I've been remiss in adding any additional details.

I'm pulling the product down now to see what I can do to fix it up for you. At the least, I'll post the prolog I gave at GenCon oh so long ago to this thread.

bbs!

(although technically, I'm not going anywhere)

3. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Oof. there's some missing art as well. Looks like we had columns in the markers database which aren't included anymore. Fixing it up.

4. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Ah, art isn't missing. It is included with a rules set. Please download either the Pathfinder or 3.5 ruleset get the additional tokens. Those rules files are free to download.

5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Okay, this is getting a major overhaul.

Progress is as follows:
    • map has been reworked for shadowcasting.
    • map markers have been added to traps and areas in the south west quadrant
    Currently testing the shadowcasting and sealing up any holes in the map. But, as I'm sure you're very aware at this point, the map is huge! so this is taking some time. I'm going to call it a night and resume tomorrow evening when I'm back from family event things (Sunday and all).

Once the map's tested, I'll finish the markers explaining traps and room events as we ran the game at GenCon the year before last. This is still one of my favorite Crawls so I've got all sorts of notes of this one! However, at the time, I wasn't really much of a content creator, so this never got flushed out.

Anyway, I'll post when it's been updated and ready for re-download.

In the meantime, the introduction to the game is included below:

Introduction
    In a world, overrun with heroes; How does anyone distinguish themselves?
    The Mad Wizard Oggo created the magical ever changing Crawl. [ Side Note: the dungeon changes once a year right around GenCon ]
    It is here, in this dungeon that you can earn your place among the greatest heroes of the realm!

Seeking fame and fortune, you have made the trek to the fabled Cloak and Stagger Tavern. It is here that you've put your name on the rolls of "Players" in today's run of the legendary dungeon. In exchange for your signature and admittance fee, you're given a dull red ioun stone which, you are told, will act as your run timer, your ticket home, and your score keeper.

Rules and Notes
    (WARNING SPOILERS!)

STANDARD FEATURES
    The players all carry Ioun Stones which broadcast, er... scry... their whereabouts and deeds back to the scrying mirrors scatter around the Cloak and Stagger Tavern. The patrons of said tavern will place bets on success/failure, first to die, etc. It is for these "viewers" that the party is going to attempt to impress and earn a name from.

The Ioun Stone also acts as score keeper and timer. The Stone will glow golden for successfully defeating a challenge or completing an objective.
    The Stone also pulses a deep red every so often to indicate how much time remains in the Crawl. The shorter the duration, the quicker the flashes from the stones.

Finally, the Crawl prevents normal vision and light sources (magical or otherwise) from functioning. Vision and Light is completely generated by the Ioun Stones. The first order of business for any group is to nominate a Light Source and that player becomes the center of the group's vision.

Once nominated the remaining Ioun Stones stop reporting points, time and generating light. Only the nominated player will have these effects visible.

At this point, the GM should add a light to the player's character by right clicking and selecting Light from the menu. Then give them either a 30ft or 30ft/60ft light source -- your choice.

If a player leaves the light radius of the carrier, they will find themselves in utter darkness -- extremely unnerving to races used to seeing in the dark.

THEME
    The secret theme for this Crawl is Mimics!

Scattered throughout the dungeon are a large volume of chests. These chests have a chance of being a mimic, containing actual loot, or containing a note from Oggo. You can use the chart below to determine the results or just wing it as seems appropriate for your group.

Roll 1d6
    1 - 2 It's a Mimic! (and it attacks)
    3 - 4 It's Loot! Give the players something helpful or coin. Don't over do it -- potions, wand with one charge, a bag of coins, etc.
    5 - 6 It's a note. The note reads, "Congratulations! I not a mimic!"

It can be fun to have the first chest always contain the note.

SCORING
    This specific Crawl is scored on the following criteria

+ Points are awarded for areas explored
    + Points are awarded for creatures defeated
    + Points are awarded for challenges overcome
    + Bonus points can be awarded for exceptional feats (players are full of surprises!)
    + Points are awarded for loot found
    + Bonus points are awarded for finding and defeating Mimics. Each subsequent mimic is worth double the previous value
    i.e. 1 = 1pt, 2 = 2pts, 3 = 4pts, 4 = 8pts, 5 = 16pts, etc.

6. Mickey

Mickey Member

That escalated quickly! LMAO!!!

7. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

Is it wrong to laugh gleefully at the thought of my players complaining when they find out they only get one light source?

8. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

not at all :) I know it doesn't really highlight the features, but the crawl is about a team challenge!

I'm thinking about running some sessions of the Crawl IV (this years event) once we get a bit more settled development wise.
    Same basic set up, but very different maps, and objectives.

This was my first pub for D20PRO and this map has been our benchmark for "does this thing work" so I'm very invested in seeing it flushed out properly.

But now.. I sleep!
    [​IMG]

Tay-Dor likes this.
  9. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Member

Wow. Nice work. Look forward to seeing the finished product.