1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Top Feature Requests

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by ogexam, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Lorgenz

Lorgenz New Member

1. a server to host the games. (my dad is a loon and thinks port forwarding is dangerous when its no more so then browsing the net most of the time.
    2. native support for rulesets and changeing between them. (i mean not having to replace the actual files, just use a menu.)
    3. support for world of darkness (nwod version)

other then that looks good i think. nice program over all.

2. Dan

Dan Member

I just tested it in the beta, and it FREAKING RAWKS!!!

OMG HAXX!

3. KainPen

KainPen Member

1. give your dad a big print out of port forwarding work might help. if anything it make things more secure because the way routers, switches and hubs work. it increase over all speed across network. check port forwarding.com they have good explanations about it there. with out port forwarding your router switch or hub broad cast on all ports, or in case of wireless data to all ip-address waiting for reply from the computer that requested said data on x port. all port forwarding does it take all data coming on x port and send to x ip-address first. it does not open any ports in firewall. even after port forward is set up you may still need to make changes to firewall.
    2.would be cool I 2nd this. would save on data space (for now I just set up different campaigns with rule sets. and just swap to what ever one I need at the time. all the extra campaigns take up more space.)
    3.I suggest a dice fudger or something that would display individual dice roll for groups of dice. that would help the program in use for world of darkness.(my group plays nwod/vampire also)for now all dice need to be rolled one at a time. initiative can function the same on a 20 side dice or d10 does not matter. just set it to manual on the character sheets and add the mod to it. my group uses the program now for large fights and car chases stuff like that. just make a character and adjust initiative, keep you paper character sheet handy for dice pool info.(you could type out the whole sheet in the notes section of the character) the only problem is the way damage works and can't use auto combat function. but there is away to fix that also White Wolf came out with a book a while ago they had Monte Cook made it for them. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=915. if covers all of new world of darkness, up to hunter books. Promethean , changeling, Geist books where not out when Monte Cook made it. but with some work you could convert them in to this system easily.

4. Tharck

Tharck New Member

Yay being a cheater is possible for the DM on rolls. An important update for all the cheaters. You know its possible to cheat without rolling a die? You can just say "My mob crits. You miss. You miss. You miss. I crit. You miss. You miss. You miss. I crit." Or any additional combination of a play-style which makes dice, spell memorizations, feat choices, and character building irrelevant.

Dont even need a program! You can just write the campaign out and then tell the characters how well they did.

One of the most beneficial things I found on D20 Pro was when it showed a die roll, you knew the program rolled it. With this addition that will no longer be there. And for those of us who actually don't cheat, we don't need it and honestly I dont want it. I personally dont want the ability to do it to even exist. When a die is rolled in my campaign every PC knows its the real thing. But now, no longer. With accepting new people in and out of campaigns building trust takes time and during that time at least they know the rolls are true until they understand I dont cheat. I for one would not like to see this option included. I may be alone, but, at least im not a dirty cheater.

/End hate.

5. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

I have to say the three most pressing features I would request are as follows

Ambient audio (accompanied with combat music transition, player / NPC / monster foot steps, etc.)

Visual effects (lighting, weather *ground splashes and such for rain*, spell and combat effects, Fix dynamic fog of war)

Animation (simple animation, I actually have the source to the java based animation system I used for one of my projects should it be useful)

6. Dragon Scales

Dragon Scales New Member

1. FOW and Visual Blocking Layers - This is what makes a VTT awesome for use in just one room. I can do it all with Photoshop and a LOT of PC resources, but it is so slow. If the program is made to handle it, that would be awesome. It would be great to allow us to attach VBL to objects that allow the players to see the object, but not past it. In other programs if you set up the layer on the edge of the object, you can never see what is actually blocking you. That doesn't work very well.

2. Vision, Light and Darkness - I would like to see programable light sources. Each light source needs to have a 'normal' range. This is the range that 'Normal' vision works. People could then program from candles to sunrods. I don't care if they are packaged with the program or if I make my own as long as I can save the settings for later use. Along with that we need to be able to program vision. I envision two fields in the options, besides name, additional range and range multiplier. For instance I could set up a 'Darkvision' light with 0 range and attach it to a token/creature. I could then set up Darkvision 60' vision with +60' range to 'Darkvision' and attach it to the same token/creature which can now see out to 60' no matter the light condition.

2a. One thing people forget with vision is Darkness. A darkness setting also needs to apply. This will limit vision of which ever type applied. It would have to work much like Vision and Light above. Darkvision does not allow you to see through magical darkness, so there has to be a way to have a moveable darkness, not just the Vision Blocking Layer.

3. Layers - Layers that can be hidden and made visible make it a lot easier for the DM to control what the PCs see and what they don't. If it worked much like Photoshop where you could hide groups of layers all at once that would be awesome.

7. firebringer

firebringer Member

So far I really only have one request, but its significant, both in terms of the value I think it would add to d20Pro as well as the time it would take to implement (I think):

Show specific modifiers that were applied to dice rolls. For example, if two monsters are caught in a Burning Hands, the Game Log shows 'X cast Burning Hands on Y(takes 11), Z(takes 5)'. Can we show the actual saving throw rolls with modifiers that were used to achieve the damage of 11 on one guy and the damage of 5 on another?

Maybe something along the lines of a hover tool tip that, when the mouse is left over a saving throw, attack roll, skill check or damage result, shows a) the original dice roll, and b) all modifiers, by type (enhancement, deflection, feat, trait, racial, sacred, untyped, etc.) that were applied to the roll.

Alternatively, make the saving throw, attack roll, skill check or damage result clickable such that it would open a new small pop up window with the information listed above.

Being able to view this information allows the GM and players to feel confident that all valid modifiers are being applied to a given roll. Also, if a modifier wasn't applied, GMs and players would be able to see that and add it on the fly.

Firebringer

8. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

I agree. Having an in-program way of selecting a ruleset - maybe a required selection drop down when creating a campaign? I'm not sure, but avoiding having to go and directly edit program files would be nice.

It's true - if you try to do anything with any map *while playing* the game, all your players freak out. "What happened?" "Everythings Dark!" "We're all lost!" It quite common that player actions etc affect areas outside the current map, or a DM might just leave some map sections unprepared pre-game in anticiaption of player actions, so they can be edited while playing. Having to show all the players, live, a new map (even one with fow) to change something doesn't work. Neither does writing down and trying to remember what to change, then telling everyone "hold on a minute or 50, I need to put the monsters here where you're all suddenly standing". Currently there's really no work around (unless you want to make hundreds of copies of the same map beforehand just in case the players do x, y, z, etc action before getting there).

3) Its been said different ways, but the spells need to be - editable? like attacks? Really, spells, attacks, abilities, and maybe some feats, should all just be the same framework that can handle them, even though they'll have their own menus, they're all just effects with different modifiers. Attacks are effects where a d20 roll vs some target's stat triggers a damage roll that is taken from the targets hp, spells are often d20 rolls vs some stat on a group of targets that triggers a damage roll that is taken from the targets' hp, abilities are often an effect where a d20 roll vs some target's stat that applies some condition, other effect, or status, etc. There should be some framework under which most these things can be implemented, and stored and edited in a similar fashion. Is that making any sense? I know some of the details can get wierd, but, a larger framework might serve the dual purpose of opening up the game for more than one ruleset.

9. bradbdavis

bradbdavis New Member

1. Ability for players to edit / manage their own characters in the game...
    2. Diagonal Doors, Better drawing tools--draw circles, rectangles, change colors, etc.
    3. XP tracking???
    (4) Show maps only to specific players

10. Therdbandit

Therdbandit New Member

1. Players being able to create/modify/update their character sheets (when not connected to GM host)

2. Players being able to create/modify/update their character sheets during hosted game

3. Not sure, will let you know when we use it more.... ;)

11. bananulor

bananulor New Member

Custom Death thresholds: things could go down at -1 but live till negative bloodied value (like in 4E)
    Effect based DR/ER: let effects apply temporary damage resist and energy resist
    4E style vulnerabilities: static damage additions if it's of the appropriate type (negative resist)

12. mahhand

mahhand Member

1. Dynamic Fog of War with Vision blocking layer ability.

2. Better Drawing tools able to use Textures and brush sizes and shapes.

3. Figure movement by using the numberpad keys as well as the mouse. I use d20pro with a Digitial table I have built for our gaming group. One of the meathods for moving figures with other programs we have used has been a wireless numberpad that is passed around the table, keeping it orientation the same so the keys are correct for each player no matter where they sit. This allows for easy 8-way figure movement (numbers 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9), and a commit move key (5) or in d20pros case, maybe an end turn key). Most players at a table still want to roll there own attacks and saves, but they are going to need a way to move there digitial figures still and a mouse doesnt work well when passed around a table as it gets hard to control when inverted or at the 90 degree end of the screen.

13. RenScotson

RenScotson New Member

1. Manageable layers for map making.

2. Player ability to edit their characters with GMs having to approve the changes.

3. Improved spell\ability system that will allow up to create and modify spells and their effects, without having to adjust them every time the caster levels. Same could be said for some feats that change based on base attack bonus, such as Power Attack.

14. Vision9000

Vision9000 Member

I'm not sure if these are already do-able with the current version:

1) Additional status types, or the ability to rename the generic existing ones (red marker, etc.), and apply a duration if known (for example: stunned for fixed duration rather than prone until managing to stand).

Two I've used generic markers for are clobbered (struck for more than half hit points, can only take partial actions one rd; and grappling--denied dex to non-grappling opponents).

2) Variable durations for [negative] effects (e.g. stunned or confused for 1d4 rds) so it gets auto-rolled-and-applied rather than needing to specify the duration when applied to a creature.

3) Sequential effects: held 1d6 rds, then sickened 1d4 rds (etc. this is just off the top of my head, but some spells have these chained effects).

Thanks!
    (obviously, these are only "minor" suggestions, because others have previously suggested great ideas, and because d20Pro already ROCKS!)

15. Doskious

Doskious New Member

I've been able to add new "Status" markers just by adding images named for the Status I want the image to indicate to the Status zip file in the Campaign resources directory (iirc).

16. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

I put a 4th ed themed one on the forum here:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1001#p5695

It's a work in progress, but functional.

17. Kizan

Kizan New Member

My current three big ones.

Group control of tokens - Options to allow all players to move/control a token.
    Map Layers (esp. FOW layer) - Toggle things off and on as needed and turn off and on FOW as a judge is setting up a map.
    Window Moving and Locking - The ability to move windows outside of the parent window and to have them remember those positions between program sessions.

Thanx,

Kizan