1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

[-] Voice Chat

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by gandolfifeesh, Nov 23, 2011.

1. gandolfifeesh

gandolfifeesh New Member

I suggest that you look into a proposition with a company with audio and/or video chat capabilities.
    Between running d20 Pro and something like Google+ my group has found feedback and echoing on the voice chat end.

Perhaps if you integrated them it would somewhat limit the bandwith required to flawlessly stream the two?
    We have found audio chat increases the enjoyment of the d20 pro experience tenfold.

2. ChrisRevocateur

Re: Voice Chat

My group has found that Ventrilo with push to talk enabled works pretty well.

But I agree, it would be great if they could have an integrated voice chat.

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

To minimize feedback/echoing it's always best for everyone to have a headset with microphone. Push-to-Talk is also another good solution, or using the "mute" feature if the voice program does not have Push-to-Talk.

My group has used Ventrilo, TeamSpeak3, and Skype in our online games. The sound quality on each are very similar. When someone did not have a headset there was more feedback and I was able to hear myself talk with a delay (which is good for singing row-row-row your boat, not so good when you are trying to give a description of a room). We've eventually settled for Skype since it's the easiest to use for all my players. Though I really liked the features on the other programs.

It would be nice to have an integrated voice chat with d20Pro. Though, any voice integration would most likely be an integration of an existing program, meaning there wouldn't be a reduction in the bandwidth. And, I'm uncertain if there is an open source Java based VOIP solution d20Pro can integrate into the existing software. Which would mean re-building the VOIP wheel, which I know the d20Pro development team does not want to do - it's outside the core product, and would cost a significant amount of money for the programming hours to develop it. Does anyone know an open source Java VOIP solution that works well?

4. Mandos

Mandos New Member

I don't see the added benefit--chatting isn't a core aspect to gaming. You guys need to spend your effort on gaming-centric aspects of the software--let Skype (or whoever), who LIVE to make voice chatting software better, do their thing.

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Exactly.

6. scienceboyroy

scienceboyroy New Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jitsi