1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Wargaming

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by jemcgui, Dec 19, 2010.

1. jemcgui

jemcgui New Member

Me and my friend have been using the D20 Pro system to play D&D 4th ed until the GM recently gave up due to a lack of time. I was wondering if anyone has used the program to play a table top miniatures game like "Warmachine" or "Warhammer 40K" and what their results were. Was it any fun? Was it hard to get the miniature info into the system?

Thanks in advance for the replies. :)

2. jemcgui

jemcgui New Member

bumping this thread

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Sorry for the long delay in answering this post. Since these games are out of my area of expertise I was hoping someone else would have some first-hand experience or a guide to use d20Pro with these games. However, I can give you my thoughts on how you can integrate d20Pro with games that are not d20-compatible.

I've really only played warhammer at a demo. From what I remember there was a move phase, a combat phase, and a close phase. Warhammer uses a d6-system and d20Pro uses a d20-system; thus, a lot of the built-in features for attack/damage would need to be carried out using the core dice and use a similar method of keeping track of miniatures like when playing in person.

• The major advantages using d20Pro for these types of games:
    • You can make any map you want with any terrain
    • Very low entry cost (you don't have to buy a ton of miniatures and spend hours to paint them, also don't have to buy/make special terrain to use when making the map for the game)
    • Very quick setup time
    • No cleanup required after you're done playing.

• Some Recommendations:
    • The miniature info would need to be placed in the "notes" section for easy access.
    • Whoever hosts the game will need to apply damage or use status effects to indicate damage or fallen miniatures to all miniatures on the map.

If you want to show me a couple of base creatures (miniatures) stats and explain how the rules work, I'm fairly certain I can display through screenshots and explanation exactly how I would proceed using d20Pro with that system.

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

In Warhammer 40k you use a dice comparison. You roll X number of dice and all those that are Y or higher is a success. You count up the successes and the opponent may have a response (remove minatures, make saves,ect.)

One of the upgrades to d20Pro is to have dice comparisons to do just that. We do not have that implemented at this time though.

You could give all basic troops 1 hit points and characters with multiple hit points have more then one.

5. jemcgui

jemcgui New Member

Thanks for all the replies, I'm in the process of trying to track down stat cards for Warmachine in a digital format. If all else fails they do sell the cards as a complete set for every piece so I may break down and go that route. I'll post back if I ever get this experiment up and off the ground.