1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Ways to improve computer perfomace with Vision/Lighting?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lonewolf147, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

I love the Vision/Lighting. It was the #1 reason I backed the kickstarter. Unfortunately, the more lights I turn on, the slower it runs on my computer, which in turn causes slow downs on my clients.

I know there is going to be a rework of the lighting system, that in theory will smooth out some of the computational overhead (I think... I thought I read that somewhere). But in the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions (besides turning off the lights) on what I can try to improve performance on my system?

Currently I run the software on my laptop. Dell Inspiron 17, 5000 Series. Win 10/64, i7-5500U CPU @ 2.400GHz, 16GB RAM.

2. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Lonewolf. From the GM side you can speed things up by opening up the Game Tools and selecting "hide fog of war"

This is a hack/fix for the time being but it reduces the alpha mask load on your GPU significantly.

A lot of the load issues are due to the alpha mask being used to let the GM see. From the player side, if they're seeing performance issues, turn off the gradient for their lights, that'll help them have faster response as well.

As to the rewrite, there is some parts of this in the works already. We're looking at metaball algorithms to allow lights to join/blend/merge so we have a cleaner light model and less direct overlap. Vision and light sources will be handled separately in the new model.

Lonewolf147 and Tay-Dor like this.
  3. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

Thank you. The alpha mask made a huge difference instantly. I'll see if that is enough and try the other idea if needed.