1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

What Game System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ogexam, Aug 18, 2010.

?

What games do you play on d20Pro?

1. DND 3.0 or 3.5

27 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. DND 4E

30 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. Pathfinder

83 vote(s)
    72.2%
  4. D20 Modern

7 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. other D20 game system

7 vote(s)
    6.1%
  6. other

19 vote(s)
    16.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

How would you like to manipulate the ruleset?

Currently you can manipulate: classes, feats, skills, and spells.

True.

Adding functionality to support any ruleset then having development tools for anyone to develop any game system mechanics into the program would be very cool using the d20Pro engine. Then of course it would be ideal to have a standardized ruleset database (in form of a spreadsheet perhaps) to have d20Pro to recognize all aspects of the game. This would allow people to create complex rules for any game system and apply it inside d20Pro. The program itself may look and feel identical to the original with only slight cosmetic differences.

If d20Pro moves into this direction, it would open up a lot of other game systems. I'm sure people in this community would add a fair number of game system rule-sets which would help attract new customers.

2. thepriz

thepriz New Member

This is what I was trying to say with being able to adjust the ruleset.

3. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

agree - I myself have such a spreadsheet for 2nd edition, it also allows for the darksun campaign adjustments.

4. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

any possibility this might be something that might be implemented?

5. Jack345

Jack345 New Member

DND 3.0 or 3.5
    &
    DND 4E

6. Dragonmaster13

This game as you call it is not a game but a game aid.

Game System: Dungeons and Dragons ver. 3.5, 3.5, 4.0; Pathfinder; Star Wars; etc.

Game Aide. d20 Pro (computer program).

Game Console: X-Box 360.

Well now it looks like the post I responded to was deleted. Now I just look silly.

7. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

This turns out to be a difficult question because if you try to make your game tool accommodate too many game systems that don't have similar enough frameworks to swap rule sets in and out of, you end up with a clunky tool that's not very good at any one game system.

This was actually the biggest problem trying to make a vtt for any 2.0, 3.0, or 3.5 game, though d20pro handles them pretty nicely. Can you name someone who plays those games vanilla? Absolutely no house rules? I didnt think so. Everyone's game is different. Remember maptools and openrpg? Great tools, so long as you get your postdoc in how to use them AND teach them to your players. Some players just want to have fun, not do taxes. This was the thrill of 4th edition. No pun pun or omnificer, no need to introduce 457 new game rules to fix the several fundamentally broken ones. I enjoy that d20pro likewise makes the work of gaming easier while still allowing for the fun. I do math for work, gaming should be about the fun, the story, the roleplay, the strategy, the social interaction.

I do like that I can use d20pro for non d20 games, like deadlands, for just the mapping. But I'd prefer more thorough accommodation for a few games than shallow accomodation for many.

8. Entola

Entola Member

We're using Pathfinder and 1st Ed D&D. The 1ed takes some fiddling with to get it to work, but it does the job.