1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Wishlist from a new user

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Goncyn, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Goncyn

Goncyn New Member

I ran my first session using d20Pro last night, and overall it was a success. I'm happy with the software. Here's my wishlist for making it even better.

simple stuff
    • Add a "precision" damage type. Make sneak attack dice (optionally?) deal precision damage.
    • Add a damage type that marks a damage line as not being multiplied on a crit. Currently, I can't mark e.g. Vital Strike's extra weapon dice as the correct damage type (slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning) because that would make them doubled on a critical. I would like to be able to list an attack as "+1 greatsword (2d6+1 slashing and magic, 2d6 slashing and magic and extra)" and have it roll crits as 4d6+2 + 2d6.
    • Add diced temporary HP to effects.
    • Add diced ability damage to effects.
    • Add a way to see the dice rolled for everything. Currently, only custom dice display the breakdown. I want to be able to see what dice and bonuses added up to the result in a "declare attack" or "resolve damage" window.
    • Add an option for the "style" field of attacks to deal 2x ability mod. I would like to be able to configure an attack using Overhand Chop that computes the appropriate damage bonus.
    • Add a "use ability" hotkey.
    • Add a "targets caster" toggle to abilities to save a few clicks on activation of things like barbarians' rage.

complicated stuff
    • Improve the spell system. Add the ability to link an effect definition to a spell including CL-dependent variables.
    • Improve the item system. I would like to see the ability to define an effect that applies to a token so long as the item is in its inventory (possibly with an "equipped" toggle).
    • Let players edit tokens they own. (Covered extensively in that other thread.)
    • Give me more control over what triggers changes in the player's view. I would like to be able to open or look at a different map without the players seeing it. Currently, it seems to change the map they're looking at whenever I change maps.

Thanks for making this program! It's almost good enough to make me want to buy a touch surface for playing w/ d20Pro in person. I love the way it speeds up combat and exploration. :D

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Goncyn,

Pretty much everything you have stated for your wishlist is on our wishlist also. :)

Currently "precision" based damage is handled as a line of damage without Slashing, Piercing, or Bludgeoning in it's damage type. Therefore, if you create an attack:

+1 Greatsword (Vital Strike)
    2d6 slashing and magic +X (+1 for magic enchantment bonus + for any feats/triats : not filled out in demo below)
    2d6 magic
    x2
    STR/STR
    AC
    No
    2-hand
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alternatively, you may use the "Sneak Attack" on the attack selection screen, and simply select the first attack option (if multiple attacks exist for the attack line - since a Vital Strike is a standard action and does not grant additional attacks).
    [​IMG]

3. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

++ Yes please.. this is very disconcerting at best and annoying at worst. As Gm I should be able to view a map while my players are on another map without them being able to see what I am doing...

4. Goncyn

Goncyn New Member

This is exactly how I set it up, and it works well enough!

My only concern with that method is its interaction with DR. The rule states, "roll the weapon's damage dice for the attack twice and add the results together before adding ... precision based damage." I interpret that to mean the attack should do 4d6+X slashing as one sum for resolving DR. You might get a little free DR-bypassing if the 2d6 Vital Strike damage isn't considered slashing, right? I want to stress that I'm totally aware this is a crazy edge case and barely matters, but nonetheless it bugs me that it's not exactly right. ;)

I thought of one other minor feature request:
    • Changing the attack adjustment to-hit bonus in the judge's "Resolve Attack" window doesn't change the displayed totals. It would be super handy if it did.

Thanks for being so responsive to my questions and suggestions. Looking forward to 3.3 final w/ Pathfinder Power Attack, etc.!

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, there are use cases, like this one, where us GM's must double check the automation numbers. For example, if a creature has DR 25/piercing and using the previous Vital Strike example with the following damage from an attack:
    [​IMG]
    Notice that the sum of the first line (2d6+6) resulted in 12 damage, which is under the 25/piercing DR.
    Now notice the sum of the second line (2d6) resulted in 4 damage (since the only type is "magic" it bypasses the automatic DR calculation).
    Simply add the two natural rolls, and if it's under the DR then deselect the second damage to negate it from applying the damage to the targeted creature. (alternatively, you can alter the final value by double-clicking on the big damage number and changing the value to 0). Then approve the damage so it can be displayed in the Game Log.

We are continuously improving our combat and effects automation. And the starting point always happens from these types of discussions. :)

6. Montis

Montis New Member

While we're on "simple" suggestions:

It would be nice to have an option for abilities to remove or use more than one charge / use at once. :)