1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

2d Programable Graphical Effects

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Ken L, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Ken L

Ken L Member

I was curious if magehand will allow, or eventually allow for programmable 2d effects for the tabletop by incorporating some kind of effects library.

I ask this as I have this idea of being able to write an extension/plugin where I can add graphical effects or animation sequences to automated actions or events (attack/miss/hit/current-turn/save fail/success etc..). Perhaps a spinning reticle for targeted attacks or spells, visible 2d ellipses flying out illustrating ranged attacks, comic-book slash effects illustrating a melee attack. Perhaps even screen jitters on large hits.

Things I'd like to implement (capability use cases):
    - Melee comic-book like slashes originating from the attacker towards the attackee with a decay to alpha spewing forth from a randomized conic angle. Perhaps cycling through a series of images.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- 2d images or animations to illustrate ranged attacks between the attacker and target.
    [​IMG]

- A number of possibilities.

A simple 2d overlay (where the 2d graphic is always facing the user irregardless of perspective) such that it doesn't become overly complex, and is light-weight.

This I'd consider this wish list territory for ordinary users to add graphical effects to their game as 3d model animations are very specialized, and can be done in 2d by the community far easier. Perhaps a nice 1.5 update.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Currently you can use animated .GIF files which would animate on the screen. However, this would be limited to stationary elements such as creature tokens.

Calling upon an animation after a template is applied and playing the animation to that area once would be pretty nice (after GM approves) then it showing who get's damaged and by how much (provided all damage shown is enabled).

3. Ken L

Ken L Member

You can have animated token images? I've tried to load .gif files but they never animated.

Either way, this was more of a wishlist item for mage hand. The current build can't natively support this without significant changes.

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Opps, that previous post I wasn't hydrated :eek: .. I mean map marker. Map Markers will accurately animate GIF image sequences. :)

Just make sure to include your .gif file inside the /judge/campaigns/[your campaign name]/res/ManuallySpecified/markers.zip

[​IMG]