1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

3.7.3 Crazy Graphical Glitches [solved]

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by firebringer, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I'm now on a Nvidia GTX 1050 TI, installed it today.. I'm using Gforce Experience to keep my drivers up to date.. no issues.

2. firebringer

firebringer Member

I'm on a GTX 1080 TI...I am using GeForce Experience to update drivers.

The system shipped with 398.36...I don't recall having the problem on that version.

It probably was 398.82 when the problem started. 399.07 didn't fix it.

When I uninstalled 399.07 using the Win 10 Apps and Features, the system (it's an Alienware R5 with BIOS vers 1.1.12) rolled back automatically to 398.36. When I tested, the problem was still there. Honestly I was a little frustrated at that point so I left it alone.

I did not use DDU to then fully uninstall 398.36, so I can't say yet whether that would have helped. I went ahead and updated to 399.07 figuring I'd find a different workaround.

Now, I'm guessing I may have to uninstall all NVIDIA components using DDU and then install a version from there. I see from your screenshot you're using 397.64...I have to ask, have you held off updating driver versions because of the risk of this type of problem? :)

Anyway, thanks everyone for the help so far....let me know if the plan above sounds logical or if I'm missing something else.

3. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

I hadn't been holding off on the update for any other reason than I've been head down in my IDE working on the D20PRO updates and didn't want to reboot my computer :p

Practical vs. Fearful reasons. I'll update today so I'm running the latest as well and let you know what happens on this end. I'll also re-open the Java/NVidia GPU tearing case file and see if there's any new news.

4. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm up to 399.07 now and man, all sorts of things just decided they don't like to run anymore, not least of which my Oculus desktop app -- apparently it is unaware of this driver version and has reported my GPU as "unsupported".

I'm doing a fresh install of 3.7.4 to test for tearing. Will report in soon as I have results! View of the SysInfo panel + Monitor model/rez below. (FYI, I run at 60hz on this monitor. the Ultrasharp is an older display and 60hz was it's best option. I wouldn't advise going below 60hz as it can result in flicker and the like which can be annoying even if you don't realize it!)

upload_2018-8-30_9-31-36.png

5. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Okay, so I'm not getting tearing yet under the new driver. Can you verify how you're launching the application (just trying to debug the process). Are you using the .exe or the .bat to launch the program?

I ask because the .bat will set some things which might not be working for you. Where as I tend to use the .exe to launch since memory is configurable in-app now.

Here's what I'm seeing. I'm going to keep using the app with our stress test map to see if I can force tearing.

upload_2018-8-30_9-55-58.png

6. firebringer

firebringer Member

I’m using the .exe to launch the app. The tearing shows itself as I move the pointer across reactive UI elements like buttons that highlight under the cursor, or most anything that has a tooltip.

It doesn’t always occur immediately. One way I’ve been able to force it to happen quickly is by trying import a creature. The small dialogue box that appears with options like “d20Pro”, Hero Lab Native”, etc, will display the shifted button images as you roll across the original button images, multiple times, top to bottom and vice versa.

The original buttons will repaint themselves through the mess as you mouse over them in their original positions.

I’ve been referring to this as tearing; is that correct? Is more like a refresh or repaint issue?

Btw I’ve given d20Pro 12gb of the available 32gb of RAM.

7. firebringer

firebringer Member

Also I’ve noticed that when I drag the main d20Pro window from one monitor to another, the glitches are gone, like it forced a refresh. The problem will then show up again on whichever monitor is displaying the main d20Pro window.

I’m not sure what to make of that, since the glitches even if only one monitor is enabled

8. firebringer

firebringer Member

So last night I used DDU to do a clean uninstall of my NVIDIA drives and installed 397.64. Same problem with the refresh/repaint/tearing (I want to make sure I'm not using the term 'tearing' incorrectly for this)?

It does not appear as though nvidia drivers are the root cause; no matter which version, new or old, the problem persists.

I'm back to searching for any setting for the GeForce 1080 Ti that might affect this...other than refresh rate I can't think of one.

Still hoping for any advice on this or suggestions

9. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm still looking for a root cause. other then potential memory issues... but that's usually more significant for a GPU.

So also researching. Again. I'm not seeing or able to duplicate this under 1.8_181 or even 1.8_162 at this point. Let me keep looking...

10. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh, what is your windows scaling values set too? Can you set it to 100% just to be safe?

11. firebringer

firebringer Member

I was excited for a second. When I went to "Display Settings", "Scale and layout" was set to 125%. I set it to 100% and rebooted. Still didn't fix the repaint/refresh issue....I was able to get the bad graphical artifacts to display even on the launcher window by quickly moving the cursor over the different buttons and links. Sometimes, after about 2-3 seconds, the afterimage would disappear, but in others cases it stayed in place over the original button/image, hiding it until a moved the mouse over its position beneath incorrect image.

I did notice, under "Display Settings"->"Advanced Display Settings" that the refresh rate of my Dell U2518D is 59 Hz according to Windows, but 60 Hz according to the Nvidia control panel...when I set it to 60 Hz and apply, then come back to that window, it still says 59 Hz...not sure if that's a contributing factor or not.

Screenshots attached

Attached Files:

#31 firebringer, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  12. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

13. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

On a side note, have you tried launching from the .bat -- I do have a bit of flag in there to disabled some of the memory stuffs in d3d.

Just make sure to set the xmx setting to your preferred memory amount.

14. firebringer

firebringer Member

Owlbear,

Wooot! Launching from the .bat fixes the problem!

I now officially love these parameters: "-Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false -Dsun.java2d.noddraw -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false"

Owlbear, Krilion, thank you SO much for the help! Seriously, this kind of customer service is hard to come by anymore; I really appreciate and respect it.

Of course, now I have a different issue with 3.7.4 (clicking any of the of the creature import options results in a message: "Please choose a Custom Module Name or deselect this option"), but I can start a new thread for that.

Thanks again!

Attached Files:

15. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hurray! and wuut? I'll look for your new thread. Make sure you uncheck that custom module check there... I think that may have been an accidental click.

16. firebringer

firebringer Member

Wow....yeah. Hrm. Move along please, nothing to see here.

I think the custom module box is checked by default and I forgot to clear it first; definitely my knucklehead moment for the day.

It's working fine, lol...

Again, thanks for all the help!

17. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

No worries! Glad we got that resolved. I was also thinking about the fact that the d2d setting fixes your issue and realized we never once considered directx version as a responsible party!

When you've got time, it's worth making sure you're up-to-date on your DX version as well.

I'm going to mark this thread solved, just cause I realized that we should be doing that!!