1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Codex Martialis

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Daeruin, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Has anyone heard of this cool supplement called Codex Martialis? It's a supplement for d20/OGL games that revamps the combat system to model real, historical martial arts as presented in real Medieval/Renaissance fighting manuals. I have found it very fun, as it adds a totally new level of strategy to combat and turns it from whack-a-mole combat into a dynamic, dangerous fight.

I'm wondering how easy/hard it would be to run a Codex Martialis combat using d20pro.

Some of the major changes to the combat system include:

• The addition of a dice pool mechanic. You can have up to four d20 dice in your pool. You use one die per attack, so if you have four dice you can attack four times. If you have three you can attack three times.
    • You can also roll a single attack with multiple dice and keep the highest roll to increase your chance of a hit or a critical hit. So I could roll a single attack with two dice and keep the highest roll.
    • You also have to use these dice to make Attacks of Opportunity, so no dice = no AoO.
    • Armor no longer adds to AC, but it does act as damage reduction.
    • You can also use one of your dice to roll for defense, which adds to your Armor Class. If you roll a 20, your opponent automatically misses, and you get an immediate, free counterattack. (So you can potentially attack during other people's turn.)
    • In order to move, you have to use one of your dice.
    • All weapons have been re-statted to include bonuses for different ranges. At regular melee range you get one bonus, at close grappling range you get another, and so forth.

There are also a ton of new feats that model historical fighting moves. Most of them play around with the dice pool mechanic, giving you extra dice or taking them away, or allowing you to make special attacks out of turn, and the like.

So... does this sound like something that would be a pain in d20pro? Is it something we could potentially code into the system somehow? Or would we just have to handle all these rules on paper and use d20pro as a really cool map?

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

This sounds really interesting, where would you point me to learn more about this style of combat rules?

3. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I think there's talk of dice comparisons to be included in some future update. Perhaps a dice-pool per round can be implemented in that time so it would support this type of game mechanic.

A work-around to use the current system with this rule system... one way would be...

This could be implemented now by creating an Ability (Ability Tab in "Edit Creature")
    Could Name it: "Dice Pool (d20)"
    Amount: 4 / 4 Per Init
    Effect: inert

Then simply have the player use that ability each time they move, attack, make an attack of opportunity, etc. If the player wants to use two of their dice pool to attack, have them select it twice (you approve that action twice), then have them roll a d20 on the "Core Dice" window, and have them make an attack. Simply add the amount shown on the "Game Log" window to their roll (that only the DM, you, can see) and determine if it hit or miss like normal after adding the additional d20 roll.

If you want a visual representation of this procedure please let me know.

5. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

So contested rolls aren't directly supported in d20pro right now? I take it these kinds of improvements have to be added by the d20pro team—it's not something ambitious players can do on their own?

Interesting idea about how to implement a dice pool! I like it. Your description was very clear. As for rolling multiple dice, the dice results are not added together. Instead you choose which roll to take. So if rolling two dice and you get a 7 and an 18, you would probably choose the 18 and discard the other die. The player needs to know both rolls so they have the choice (sometimes you might want to choose a lower roll if it gives you a tie; there are special abilities that trigger from a tie in this system). If you're only rolling two dice, the regular attack roll and the critical confirmation roll could be considered the two separate dice, but the player can't see them. Plus it wouldn't work if you were rolling with three or four dice.

6. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Ah yes, for some reason when I was responding I was thinking "action dice" which adds to the roll. Anyway, the "drop the lowest" or "take the highest" out of multiple d20's for a single attack is much easier to implement!

I would still make the associated ability in the ability tab. Then, if the player wants to use an additional die from their pool to make two attack roll attempts for a single attack and pick the highest, or whichever they want I would simply have the player use the ability, then make the first attack followed by another attack. You as DM can see they used two dice from their die pool and made two attack attempts. You can then tell the player what they rolled and which one they want to keep. Click "X" to close the attack attempt the player wishes to negate, and proceed with the player's chosen attack by selecting hit/miss/critical and approve associated damage (remember you can increase or decrease the damage you apply to the creature - just in case of special triggers occur on that attack).

Regarding contested rolls directly supported in d20Pro... yes, this would be something the d20Pro team must implement for direct support for any game that uses contested roll rules. Until then, there's always the manual way :)

7. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Contested rolls are certainly built into the d20 system (grapple, perception, etc.). It's interesting that there is no built in support for them in d20pro.

Yeah, I think your idea will work pretty well. Although considering the limitations (no contested attack rolls, no identification of ties) I might just want to go with manual attack rolls all the time to simplify things.

Here are a few other nuances of this combat system that I'm trying to figure out how to represent in d20pro.

• Armor acts as damage reduction. The amount of reduction is doubled against chopping attacks and tripled against slashing attacks. I can only enter one damage reduction amount on the character sheets. So I could do DR of 2 versus one type of attack, but I can't enter 4 versus a second type or 6 versus a third type on top of that. I can't do anything with chopping attack types at all because it's not built into the d20pro list.
    • On attacks you get a weapon bonus based on your range. Daggers may get a +6 at close grapple range, a +0 at regular melee range, and -2 from what they call "onset" range (the distance preferred by spearmen). From what I know, I could do this by creating different attacks for each weapon to represent these bonuses. I could also apply them manually as a "To Hit" bonus on the attack, but I'd prefer not to since it's more work. I'd have to remember the bonus and enter it by hand.
    • Critical damage depends on the type of attack rather than the weapon. If I'm slashing with my sword, critical damage is 1d10, whereas if I'm piercing it's 1d6. I suppose I could implement this as a Sneak Attack where I get to choose the die type for the additional damage. The disadvantage of this is that it would bypass damage reduction, which it shouldn't in this system. Regular damage and critical damage should be rolled into one big total, then the armor's damage reduction is applied.

Any ideas? I really appreciate your input on this. I was starting to think I'd have to abandon Codex Martialis while using d20pro, but I really, really don't want to. It makes combat so much more dynamic and exciting.

8. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

This would be a good feature request; post here.

Though, how I would implement this rule in d20Pro today is as follows...
    • Under "Edit Creature" > "Attack" > Add duplicates of our attack such as "Longsword (vs Heavy Armor)" and "Longsword (vs No Armor)" and "Longsword (vs Light Armor)" and etc, can name it to suit the damage resistance vs a particular armor type.
    • Under "Damage" for each attack automatically calculate the damage reduction in the attack. So, if the DR = 2, and a Longsword does 1D10 normal damage... change the rolled damage to 1D8. If there's an attack vs a particular armor that has DR = 4, simply modify the rolled damage from 1D10 to 1D6. If there's an attack vs a particular armor that has DR = 6, then modify the rolled damage from 1D10 to 1D4. This also works if you have an odd number for DR, such as DR = 3. You can just as easily change the rolled damage from 1D10 to 1D7. - This method has one flaw, it assumes each attack will be more damaging than the damage resistance. However, it does account for the proper max damage.
    • Another option would be to simply change the ending modifier to the appropriate DR for that armor type. This method also has a flaw... it does not account for any roll less than then 1 damage. Thus, if the "natural" displayed value is less than the DR simply click on this damage (to make the highlight disappear) before approving damage.

The best way to implement this is the same way you would for applying a "Flanking Bonus" aka "Combat Advantage". Simply have your players enter their appropriate bonus when they make their attack option. Have them say "Since I'm attacking at close grapple range, I'm gaining a +6 bonus to this dagger attack" then they will place a +6 attack bonus on their attack. This does have another advantage, it makes your players really good understanding all the rules. :)

The best way to implement this is to create an additional damage roll for each weapon's attack. So, in my "Longsword (vs <armor type>)" attack I will have two damage rolls. First, the normal 1D10 damage minus the appropriate DR. And secondly, the critical damage roll of 1D10 as the second damage roll. Perhaps a better way to illustrate this would be a dagger... Thus, the first normal 1D4 damage minus the appropriate DR. And secondly, the critical damage roll of 1D6 as the second damage roll.

Since this rule-set is using a different critical system, if the player critically hits an opponent always choose the "normal hit" option when approving the attack. You will apply the damage on the "Resolve Damage" Action Window. The first damage roll is the normal damage, the second damage roll is if the attack scored a critical hit. For a normal hit simply de-select the second damage roll, make sure the damage is accurate then approve. For a critical hit make sure both damage rolls are highlighted and the damage is accurate then approve. If damage is not accurate, when on a 1D4 - 2 roll, it displays a "natural 1" or "natural 2" just de-select that damage before applying. If the hit was a critical and the normal damage was less than the DR, simply update the critical damage roll to the correct damage before applying.

For a visual representation of this see my post inside this thread and modify it slightly with the information posted above: Making Abilities, and having them work inside d20 pro.

9. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Opps, forgot to respond to one thing...

True, those contested rolls are mainly done using the Core Dice or the player's skill window. However, since Pathfinder simplified grapple as a grapple attack vs CMD. You can certainly create an attack "Grapple Attack" and have it vs the opponent's CMD. To do this, activate "Custom Defense" inside "Options" > "Judge". Place "CMD" in Custom 1, place "CMD (Flat Footed)" in Custom 2, and place "SR" in Custom 3. Then you can select "CMD" or "CMD (Flat Footed)" when doing the "Grapple Attack" option.

But you are right, the rolls that are contested (like perception) are not handled through d20Pro's combat system. It's handled by simply having the player roll the dice in their Core Dice Window (or player's skill window - when using a skill) and seeing the outcome based on your DM roll.

On a side note... when does your group normally play? Because I'm interested to see these combat rules in action :)

10. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Not a bad idea, except it gets a little more complicated than that. It would have to take into account the weapon, the attack type (slash, chop, pierce, bludgeon), and the armor. And there are lots of different types of armor. They don't fall neatly into three categories. So really, for a longsword you'd have the three basic attack types it can use (slash, chop, and pierce), multiplied by all the possible armor types (about 50 of them). On the other hand, I could just simplify it and create a static damage reduction number for each armor, regardless of attack type. That would reduce bookkeeping somewhat.

Hey, what about just manually entering the DR into the "To Dmg" box when choosing the attack? Similar to your suggestion for handling the different range bonuses. It seems like this ought to work, but when I tried it, the damage never gets reduced. On the damage screen, it will say, for example:

d6-2
    natural 4

If it was a natural 4, and the roll should be reduced by 2, why does the damage say 4 instead of 2? It doesn't seem to be actually changing the damage.

Brilliant! I didn't even know you could do this. That would work perfectly.

Right, my mistake. The Codex Martialis rules are based on the Open Gaming License and relies on the old contested grapple check. I wasn't thinking about Pathfinder's modification. I'm glad you brought it up, because I had totally forgotten that CMD needs to be in there somewhere. What are you referring to with "SR"? Spell resistance? Sorry, I'm really a bit of a novice when it comes to Pathfinder.

Actually, we haven't even started yet. I'm just trying to learn d20pro and get everyone's characters entered into the system. I have only seen the Codex Martialis rules in action once during a playtest, but it was really awesome! Trying to implement those rules on top of Pathfinder, which I've never played, on top of d20pro, which I've never used, has a bit of a learning curve. It might take a while before we really take flight with this campaign. :) Honestly, I'm a bit worried that it will all be a bit too much, and gameplay will be too slow. I was just about to abandon the idea of using Codex Martialis when you finally stepped in and gave me all this advice on how it could work.

11. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Attacks vs Different Armor Types and Applying Damage Reduction (DR)

I think having over 50 armor types coupled with multiple weapon types and style of attack to contend with will slow gameplay down unless everyone you are playing with has the rules mastered. Pathfinder separates the armor types into three categories: Light Armor, Medium Armor, and Heavy Armor. And, assumes the character will attack the opponent in the best method possible to take full advantage of the weapon. Pathfinder rule-set likes to simplify a lot of game mechanics. Keeping up with the simplification factor regarding damage reduction based on different armor I came up with what I think would be an appropriate adaptation using some of the rules in each combat system.

• Simplified Application of DR Rules Based on Classification of Armor (Light, Medium, Heavy)
      • Light Armor - DR 1/- ( If made of Adamantine use DR 3/- )
      • If Creature uses Light Armor as per Core Rulebook, place appropriate static DR for all attacks in the "Edit Character".
      • Continue to use "<Weapon Type> (vs Light Armor)" and use the best attack type (slash, chop, pierce) as the baseline for rolled damage and critical damage based on weapon type.
      • Medium Armor - DR 2/- ( If made of Adamantine use DR 4/- )
      • If Creature uses Medium Armor as per Core Rulebook, place appropriate static DR for all attacks in the "Edit Character".
      • Continue to use "<Weapon Type> (vs Medium Armor)" and use the best attack type (slash, chop, pierce) as the baseline for rolled damage and critical damage based on weapon type.
      • Heavy Armor - DR 3/- ( If made of Adamantine use DR 5/- )
      • If Creature uses Heavy Armor as per Core Rulebook, place appropriate static DR for all attacks in the "Edit Character".
      • Continue to use "<Weapon Type> (vs Heavy Armor)" and use the best attack type (slash, chop, pierce) as the baseline for rolled damage and critical damage based on weapon type.

Note: At this time the DR information inside the "Edit Character" is info only IF you select any damage types (piercing, bludgeoning, etc). d20Pro will not reduce damage taken automatically if you select DR types other than "-" (no type), it is up to the DM to change damage manually or deselect the damage if no damage should be dealt to the opponent. This information will be displayed when resolving damage. On the other hand, IF you use "<number>/-" d20Pro will automatically update the correct damage that should be applied for that attack. This is the reason my recommendation is to use DR 1/- or DR 2/- and etc.

This could work. Just remember that d20Pro combat system does not allow for damage to below "1" for each attack, even if the negative penalty to damage far exceeds the natural attack with any bonuses. For example: if the damage roll was 5 and the bonus damage was 3 (total of 8 damage before penalty) and you apply a -15,000,000,000 penalty for the damage... the result will display in the "Resolve Damage" Window "natural 1" and therefore "1 damage".

The "natural" number is after the penalty assigned to the damage (even though that is "modified" damage, not the "natural roll" the system correctly reduced the rolled number by 2). You can confirm this by rolling damage 1,000 times like I did, each attack will never say "natural 5" or "natural 6" since "natural" really should read "modified" or "adjusted". Remember, d20Pro forces at least 1 damage to be displayed for approval with each attack unless the opponent has DR #/- then d20Pro modifies the damage automatically for DM approval.

Yes.

Pathfinder is an excellent rulebook, and Paizo has an awesome online presence. You can easily post a question on Paizo's messageboard and get an answer from one of the game developers if no one else responds correctly to your post, or post a question directly to a game developer.

I've also used many Virtual Table Top products, and by far my preference is with d20Pro. It may take a couple sessions for you and your players to get used to the interface, but once that happens d20Pro will make your DM-life much easier. When I started the first session online with d20Pro I gave a d20Pro tutorial so the players could understand the interface. After which, I ran my players through a mock-combat session so everyone would feel comfortable moving, making attacks, using skills, using the game tools, using the game log, looking at their character sheet, assigning hot-keys for their most used skills, and etc. After which, I started the adventure and soon after a combat session! Imagine that! :p Anyway, even with every player new to d20Pro, the combat went as fast as a combat would at a real table. After a couple sessions the combat seems much quicker than at a live table (since no need to draw on the map for walls, easy placement of opponents, automatically handing HP for all creatures, no need to have players add up on their fingers their attack rolls and bonuses to see if they hit a specific AC, and etc).

Anyway, I think it'll be a good integration with Pathfinder Rules and a streamlined version of Codex Martialis Rules using d20Pro. And after a couple sessions you'll notice combat speed up to a point where you'll look back and think how complicated things would be if you were to run a game without d20Pro. At least that's how I view it. :)

12. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Hmmm. I don't like the fact that if I apply a -2 on the "To Dmg" field, then it automatically subtracts that from the roll, with a minimum of 1 damage... so I have no way of knowing what was actually rolled. Was it a 3, so the result really needs to be 1, or was it a 1, so the result really needs to be zero? On the other hand, applying DR 2/slashing works quite well, as it shows me the original roll, what the final result should be, and allows me to adjudicate one way or the other. Plus it does reduce damage to 0 if that's how the math works out. I tested this a few times, and it appears to be not purely info only. It actually subtracts from the damage, but it does it every time, so you need to manually modify damage only if the DR type doesn't match the attack type. I prefer this because at least it tells me what DR type the character has. It's unfortunate that I can't set multiple DR values, though.

Edit: Just realized the type after the DR value is an exception to the DR, rather than a restriction. So DR 2/slashing means it's DR 2 versus every attack except slashing.

I actually like the level of detail involved with different attack and armor types. It actually makes a difference what type of armor and weapon are chosen and allows you to really customize your character depending on what your strategy is. Plus I come from a Rolemaster background (or "Roll-master" as some used to call it), so having to look up something for each attack doesn't faze me. Anyway, as long as you're somewhat prepared with the weapon and armor stats recorded on the character or creature, it's not that difficult to look up the numbers you need. If only d20pro were a little more flexible, I could have it all automated and not slow things down at all. :)

As it is, your suggested simplification might be the way I'm forced to go, simply because I can only set one DR value, and the "To Dmg" reduction doesn't work the way I need it to. As for the attack type, remember that the base damage for each weapon is static, it's only the critical hit damage that depends on attack type. And the best attack type isn't always the one with the highest crit damage. If you're facing a heavily armored opponent, a high-damage slash attack might still fail to get past armor, so you might choose to do a lower-damage piercing attack in order to punch through his armor. It depends on whether you want to rely on getting a critical hit with that slash (perhaps by burning multiple dice in a multi-die attack), in which case you just might be able to get past the DR, or go for the more likely piercing hit with lower damage (perhaps in multiple single-die attacks so the damage adds up faster). I hate to lose that level of strategy. That's one of the big reasons I want to use Codex Martialis in the first place.

13. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I forgot to ask, have you used Fantasy Grounds before? I haven't looked into it too much, but it seems pretty cool. I like the fact that you can define your own game rules. But it's also more expensive than d20pro.

Your comments about Pathfinder are exactly the reason we chose it. As DM, I needed a product with lots of pre-made adventure and campaign modules. I just don't have the time and energy to create my own anymore.

14. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

DR from a variety of weapon attacks types would be the best way to go. And, it's would be a great feature to be added in an upcoming release.

DR/something : and the "something" bypasses DR. That makes sense, that's what the core rule book uses. Yay for posting at 2am.

Another option is to create multiple damages for each attack (just like doing the custom critical based on type of weapon), so if they use the weapon as a chop you can assign it one type of damage and damage roll, if the weapon is used to stab it uses another type of damage and damage roll, and if the weapon is used to slash it uses another type of damage and damage roll. Then you can select which one to apply based on what the player stated. You could also use the lowest attack bonus, and simply have the player add in the additional attack bonus based on the type of attack they are using. Then simply reduce the damage by the appropriate amount before applying damage. I think this may be a good way to incorporate the codex martialis while contested rolls are developed for a future release.

Fantasy Grounds II does have it's advantages, there are lots of video tutorials so people can understand how it functions. There's also purchasable content where people can buy add-ons such as adventures that run exactly as the module layout is presented. And, the most important feature that FGII has that d20Pro could improve on is the "Combat Tracker" which gives all needed stats for each character in one easy place that also functions as the initiative which can be modified based on holding or other actions that changes initiative. Each character sheet can be completely filled out for each character and depending on what actions each character does most often they can assign hotkeys for their top rolls (create a custom name for each hotkey). Simply drag the action type weather it be Stealth Skill Check, Attack Roll, or Damage and drop it in the hotkey slot for quick access. And drag an attack or damage onto the opponent. Same applies for effects such as slowed, paralyzed, stunned, etc.

Now, d20Pro you can also play with a similar play style as in-person gaming. Simply use the Core Dice Window for all your rolls, and use a real character sheet to manually add up bonuses (or create custom dice with preprogrammed bonuses - the icon in the Core Dice Window that looks like a bag). Alternatively, you can create custom skills listing with the appropriate bonuses for attacks and damage and use a custom skills listing (players can view full list through "View Creature" and select "Skills" tab - same way the DM can "Edit Creature" and select "Skills" tab... then roll the die to the right of the name of the skill with bonus.) If the DM states that attack hits, the player can then roll appropriate damage from the Core Dice Window. The DM will then apply damage by clicking on the opponent, pressing "d" for damage, and enter the appropriate damage and press "enter" or click the green check mark. If an opponent heals , you can click on the creature, press "h" for healing, enter the appropriate healing amount or select "heal to max" and press "enter" or click the green check mark. The core features of d20Pro is the Map (preloaded, or create your own as the adventure takes place using the draw tools) and the automated combat functions.

In addition there's more free content on d20Pro than there is on Fantasy Grounds II, especially when d20Pro community members have posted an entire creature list from a published bestiary. Perhaps d20Pro should publish their own (or contract-out some work, hint hint :p ) for users to submit their own tutorial videos. But I digress... While FGII allows you to create your own game rules, it is still up to the DM to apply those rules to the game. Most is used as reference material to be used in-game from what I've been able to see. Personally, I gave each VTT 2 hours of use before making a purchasing decision based on what was most useful for me on several aspects of the game from the interface, ease in use, ease in entering maps and creatures, ease in manipulating data, and support for the game systems I use. FGII has more support for 4e whereas d20Pro has I think equal support for Pathfinder, 3.X. and 4e.