1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Connectivity Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlueArcher, Jun 30, 2010.

1. BlueArcher

BlueArcher New Member

Hi

To set the scene, I am running the latest release version of d20Pro (2.1.1) on a PC running Win 7 Ultimate. My friends are running on MacBooks. I have checked my IP and I have a Public IP address as do my friends (based on Brash Fink's rules from his port forwarding post). I can ping them successfully and they can ping me.

However, when they try and connect (using the standard port 10101) to my GM session, they get a time out error. We tried it the other way around and - ie I try to connect to their GM session - and I also get the same error. :x

I cannot see anytyhing in the network config on my machine that would cause this issue... but I do have a couple of thoughts: 1) My router is owned/managed by Time Warner Cable - could they have 'blocked' the communication ports used by d20Pro?; 2) When we tried to connect, we were also using Skype on a video call - would this cause contention? If so, what application is 'safe' to use alongside d20Pro to allow IP voice chat while we play?

I would appreciate any network gurus' advice in solving this as I do not understand networking at all! :oops:

Thanks

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

I use skype often with d20Pro and it does not give me any issues.

Here are some things to check/try.

For the port forwarding is d20Pro the first one listed? Are there any other listed for that port number?

If you think it may be a port issue try using a different port number and set up port forwarding to that one.

The IP address you give them is it the local area one or the external IP address. You said you guys can ping each other though right? hmmmm

The latest version of d20Pro is now 2.1.2 (FYI)

Those are a few things off the top of my head

3. BlueArcher

BlueArcher New Member

As we both have a public IP, I didn't think I needed any port forwarding set up... :? This will be a royal pain to set up as, per my original note, I do not have access to the cable company's router to set them up :( . But yes, we can ping each other and we can Skype with each other... Which led me to my question on contention - but, based on your post, this shouldn't be an issue. Do you use 10101 as the port for d20Pro?

4. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

BlueArcher, you've probably already done this, but are you sure everybody is using the same version? You're OP said you're using 2.1.1 and the newest is 2.1.2. If everybody's not using the same version then you will get connection time outs.

If you don't have control of your router then it's possible that some/all non-standard ports are blocked. 10101 is just the default port that d20Pro uses, try changing this.

If neither of these work, is it possible to try to connect to/from another machine on your local network?

5. BlueArcher

BlueArcher New Member

2.1.1 was the latest last week when I installed it :roll: but I know my friends in the UK reloaded it yesterday so we may have a versioning issue. I will install the latest version and check with them in the morning.

If this doesn't work, I will call my ISP and see if they have indeed blocked 10101... I have to say, I wouldn't put it past them to do so!!

I can also load d20Pro on my daughter's laptop and see if that will connect to my system.

Thanks for the suggestions!

6. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

No problem, let us know how it goes. :)