1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Critical hits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KainPen, Jun 16, 2010.

1. KainPen

KainPen Member

Hey everyone i was wondering, does the Critical hit system use 3.5 multiplication rules or when you say x2 it does take the total damage multiplies it by x2?

I and wondering because some weapons in AD&D does have lets say 2d6 damage as a base and by the 3.5 system a x2 multiplier the damage would be 3d6 not 4d6. in AD&D it would be 4d6. Also was wondering because Thief and Ninja classes do not do sneak attack damage they do a back stab witch is from x2-x5 depending on level. Was thinking of making a separate attack for when those classes are doing there back stab and confirm a crit for them with the correct multiplier.

2. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

To the best of my knowledge, Crit is "Max Damage" if the crit multiplier is set to1, and an exact multiple if set to another multiplier.

Also, although it is called "Sneak Attack", you can use that option for any attack that does extra damage; and can specify the number and size of dice to use.

So, your "Ninja" could apply "backstab" damage through the use of the "Sneak Attack" functionality.

Personally, I hate most "crit mechanics" as double damage can still result in a 2 and max damage is something the playe can possibly roll anyway. So we use a combination system of "Max Damage" pluse additional damage equal to 1/2 of the total number of damage dice rolled (rounded down +1). So that a crit on a 2d8 attack would do 16 + 1d8 damage. (I give the monsters the same mechanics).

3. ogexam

ogexam Member

X1 is max damage

The rest multiple the weapon damage by the multipler, then add effect modifiers.

For instance longsword +1 flaming with prayer and bardic music +3, with a strength of 18.

Damage is 1d8+1(magic sword)+4(str)+1d6fire+1(prayer)+3(bardic music) on crit double sword but not effects and elemental damage.
    2d8+2+8+1d6+1+3

Simply breaks down, if it has one of the types: slashing, bludgeoning, piercing then it is multiple, if not it is not multiplied (as per 3.5 rules)

4. Dan

Dan Member

For AD&D, I would create a new attack for backstab. Makes life much easier that way.

4E has a pretty good crit system. Nat 20 is max damage, but you also add +1d6 per plus of the weapon, so a +3 longsword would crit for 8+3d6. Also, some weapons have the vicious enchant, which makes the dice into d12's. Sneak attack, hunter' quarry, and other variable damage addons DO crit for max, by the way.

5. KainPen

KainPen Member

if i remember right everything is doubled in AD&D all bonus it amounts to massive damage espeical if thief or ninja get a crit on back stab. damage of short sword 1d6 +1 weapon, +2 str, +1 spell prayer. would all be doubled on a crit. or lets say it a level 10 thief x5 (bard only give bonus to hit.) the total damage would be 1d6+4 x 7 on a cit back stab that 35- 70 on a crit. using 4th edition system that would = 13+ 1d6 , i don't remember what sneak does in 4ed but lets say it 10d6 that a range of 24-79 the range of damage is a lot greater. odds are it going to be around 40 something using ADD rule the odds are it going to be in the 50s. and considering in AD&D you can only back stab if the person in unaware. you can't just have some one in front and flank and get the bonus. 3.5 as long as you had flank you got the extra damage. it is meant as a one hit kill technique. I think it the only way to trigger mass damage death check roll other then falling terminal velocity 36d6. The creature with the most hp of the game is 300hp no where near 600 or 700 or even 1,000 in other editions.

I think i am going to have the roll go as normal and just multiply the first damage and add it to the creature manual.

6. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Hence the reason I would like a damage multiplier box on the last screen of damage calculation.

I would use it as such:

Enter a 0.5 to divide total (final calculated) damage by 2 (it should round down, of course). So I can deal with pesky "insubstantial" mobs.

Enter a 2 or greater to multiply the total (final calculated) damage by the given number. This allows for the doubling, trebling, etc of total damage; and not just the damage done by the weapon itself.

Perhaps an additional check box to indicate whether the sneak attack/hunters quarry/backstab/ Warlocks Curse/ etc damage was to be effected by the multiplier ...

7. Dan

Dan Member

That's a good idea, Thurgian. We'll certainly take it into consideration!