1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Hero Lab Import

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phloog, Jun 6, 2010.

1. phloog

phloog Member

I got all filled with happy and bought Hero Lab and d20PRo with the 3.5 tools.

When I first tried to import a character, I got an error, apparently because the Hero Lab people are willing to sacrifice functionality to include an advert in their XML (nice).

So having done what was suggested here (manually removing the advert), I now find that it goes into d20Pro, but the character I tried to import still ends up with bad data - - not sure the full extent of it as I'm not really keen on spending my weekend tracking down errors, but I can tell you that the character in d20PRo ends up with ZEROES for his saves.

I can read the XML and I see:

<saves>
    <keyvalue id='vFort' name='Fortitude Save' value='9'/>
    <keyvalue id='vRef' name='Reflex Save' value='7'/>
    <keyvalue id='vWill' name='Will Save' value='3'/>
    </saves>

but when this character appears in d20pro, all save mods are zero.

It sure looks like HL is TRYING to send the right data.

Is this Hero Lab dropping the ball, or d20Pro?

I used DMGenie for years, but it's not supported anymore...should I have stuck with it anyway? It seems possible that d20PRo and Hero Lab might someday be great....are they just not finished yet? I didn't do a lot of research, so I think the error is probably mine. It looked like both were polished and solid, but perhaps when you put them together they're like Peanut Butter and Antichocolate.

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

I was able to replicate the bug.

Part on the HL side and part on ours.

We have been concentrating with the pathfinder expansions of the beastiary that the good old bad fix error bit us on the but.

I have an email to Colen to have them fix the HeroLab side, and the next release of d20Pro will have our fix in it.

Thanks for finding this bug.

For right now if you want to hand fix them do the following:
    Remove the last line: "Created With Hero LabĀ® - try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com!
    In the saves area where it has vFort, vReflex, vWill change it to svFort, svReflex and svWill.

Once version 2.1.2 is out this will be a non issue. Oh and you will get DR and ER importing as well.

3. phloog

phloog Member

Okay...I'm not in front of my machine right now, but I DO remember removing the 'advert' from the END....are you saying I just didn't see that there's another advertising line in the saves section, or did I read what you'd written incorrectly?

I have to guard against explosions of rage, so if I seem a little more annoyed than a person should be about a program that automates the process of moving my little 'dragon dolls' around on the screen, it's because I'm unsure if any bugs I see are really bugs, or just my lack of knowledge.

As nice as HL is in some ways, I still wish someone had just bought/opened DMGenie and had THAT to import things into D20Pro...HL might be more powerful (can't verify that), but I could add feats, items, etc. in DMG in a matter of minutes and everything modified the numbers properly. With HL- and again it might be my familiarity, it seems like some fairly straightforward things are...no so straightforward.

D20Pro though is quite awesome (and will be moreso if HL begins to work with it). That's high praise from me, since I own Fantasy Grounds, Klooge, and Maptool (quite a commentary on Klooge and Fantasy Grounds that AFTER using both of them I am now using MT...and maybe D20Pro now). I've stopped collecting comic books and now I collect VTT software...I'd like to stop that practice.

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

There is no advert in the saves area those were two seperate things to do.
    1. remove the advert from the end of the file
    2. change the name of vFort, vReflex, vWill to svFort, svReflex and svWill

I have been in email contact with Colen at HeroLabs and the fix on their end will be in there next release (a week or two I think).

Herolabs is actually a pretty powerful tool once you learn its ins and outs. You can add classes, items, feats, etc.
    In my home campaign we were playing The Shackled City and I actually made an item called The Smoking Eye (a no slot item that gave +1 to saves, +1 to hit, etc.) and it modified my guy perfectly and imported into d20Pro as well.

Once you get use to Herolabs you will like it more.

thanks for the awesome props!

5. phloog

phloog Member

Sorry -- - missed the specifics of the Saving Throw bits -- that'll teach me to post in the middle of an ether frolic.

6. phloog

phloog Member

Am I right in thinking that the new update I got today fixes the 'advert', but manages to leave the saves broken?

7. ogexam

ogexam Member

You are correct, since the broken saves part is on our side of the code.

We have a new version to be released soon that fixes the 3.5 saves issue.

d20Pro 2.1.2 is in internal QA testing and once it passes the testing it will be released.

So please stand by.

8. markmad

markmad New Member

I experienced a weird bug in my import process, but it still works. When I import the character it does not import correctly when I change the name in the import box, but when I keep the defualt import name it works. What I do is import with the defualt name and then change the name of the file after the file is an importable file.