1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Issue with D20Pro.Bat

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by Thurgian, May 18, 2010.

1. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I am using large maps, and wanted to improve the performance of the application.

So, i followed the instructions for increasing the amount of memory (available to Java) via the D20pro.Bat

Everything seemed to work, but just before the application was ready to launch (After selecting the license, entering the nickname, and selecting the green check mark), the application exited with a "Failure to Initializa Res" error. At first, I thought I had modified the file improperly; but after verifying that I had not, and after restoring the batch file to it's original condition - i determined that I am unable to start D20Pro by way of the batch file.

I am running WIndows 7 (64), and attempted to use the 64-bit batch file to the same result.

I do have both 32bit and 64bit of Java Installed, and even attempted a modified batch file to force call 64 bit java. Without exception every use of a batch file to call java and execute d2pro, resulted in a "Failure to Initialize Res" error.

2. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

OK, I have given this some thought; and while I can't check, for several hours, to see if I am right - I believe the issue may be related to Windows 7 security.

When running D20 normally, my PC always gives me the "do you want to allow this program to be able to make changes to your local system - yada yada." I receive no such commentary when attempting to start the BAT file. While I never explicitly told my PC to run D20 "As an Administrator", it would appear that it does so by default; and that the Admin property isn't activated using the batch file.

So, my options would appear to be to pass the run as admin flag through the batch file, or relocate the D20pro directories away from protected storage. Since I believe the application is portable, this is probably the easiest answer. That is cut and past the D20 directory tree from C:\Program Files (x86) to C:\

It will be several hours; but I will update this post with the answer - either way.

3. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Moving the D20pro intallation out of protected storage, and to the root of the drive - resolved the issue.

4. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Glad we could help. :D

Happy gaming!

Nick