1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

LAN Games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phloog, Jun 7, 2010.

1. phloog

phloog Member

I used to feel like the biggest weirdo asking these questions of other products, but it's starting to feel like I'm not a minority any more.

I use VTT software in my FACE TO FACE game. I've tended to NOT use the chat and other functionality...I just put a big screen up for the players, and all mapping/tokens work is done on that screen.

To do this with minimum hardware using Klooge, Fantasy Grounds, and Maptool, I just created an instance of the DM on my laptop, then ran a SECOND instance as a player on the same machine. Then I move the Player instance/screen to the external monitor all the players can see, and I move all tokens on the DM instance.

1) Will this work with D20Pro?

2) Are there any tricks/warnings with respect to LAN games? As one example, Klooge would always disconnect if I didn't 'fiddle' with the player instance periodically..usually in the middle of combat. Are there things I need to do with firewalls? Hopefully not, as every other system I've used has just worked.

EDIT: found an answer to #1 (should work), but still would be interested in #2 (the questions, not the substance)

Thanks,
    JT

2. KainPen

KainPen Member

it works. i still run a game like you but we use a projector to project the map down on to table. i have a few guys that want to play on table and a few that want to use there laptops, all of it lan some of the guys still like to use miniatures also.
    so as gm i take ownership of all characters that are going to use mini, and change there icon to invisible. i give the laptop guys control over theirs and have there set to visable. it is a nice mix and works well. i can see on my laptop where everyone is with out looking at the table there icons are not seen by them.

i did run a sample game like you are doing and a lot of my guys felt like i was playing the game not them. so we came up with the mix.

i have had no issues so far with land games or even over the web. that was the first thing we test was a game over the net. in case for some reason one of our guys still wants to play but is not in town for game week. he can still make it. you can do lan and web game also.

as far as firewall only web games are issues. unless you have your firewall to even block local traffic. is how to set up web game or fix firewall all ports and info you need are here.
    viewtopic.php?f=2&t=120

3. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hi,

You can add a second machine (cut down on some control of characters issue) with a either a wireless connection or simply get a cross over cable (at your local comp store) and plug the machines into each other.

You may have some IT stuff to resolve pending your machine, but having the PC on a separate machine should make things easier for you the GM. I am not 100% sure, from memory, if there are any issues once you plug in via crossover cable, but I don't think so. If you connect wirelessly or data cable to router, you will need to check firewall(s) from your computer OS, security software, etc. Then go into d20Pro, hit the d20Pro icon in upper left, go to options, judge, IP address, and use the local IP.

You should be good to go. Please let us know if you have any problems.

@KainPen - can you take a picture of your set up and post it?

Best regards and happy gaming,

Nick

4. phloog

phloog Member

I think I'll be fine, because I've run Maptool and Klooge with no hassles over wireless - - unless D20Pro is doing something weird I think I'm golden. I've never run into the problem where the players feel like I'm running their characters, because the call out specifically where they're going. And any issues are more than offset by things like not having to argue about who has to draw the map - an argument that has been going on since I started playing D&D back in the early 80s (yes, I'm old - - Elvis Costello and Split Enz were in the background of our first sessions, played on wonderful audio cassette).

Brings up a related question - - does D20Pro allow you to label the grid (A1, G8, etc.) like some other tools?

5. KainPen

KainPen Member

i post picks next time we play D&D. we did that set up for the 3 times we test the program to see if we wanted to buy it. maybe in a month or two, still inputting data and rule changes to make it D&D 2.0 complaint. When i am done we will be switching from Vampire back to D&D. :D got a good bit done so far. monsters are taking forever to input.