1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Pathfinder Adventure Path

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ampherion, Jan 26, 2011.

1. UndeadDan

UndeadDan Member

You don't need to clean up the maps (unless you are trying to hide something) because all of the text is just that, text. If you use regular old Adobe Reader 10 (not Acrobat, or a pdf extractor) you just click to select and then you can copy and paste the images directly out of the Adventure Paths.

2. Arbarth

Arbarth New Member

I tryed it with somePDF (image extractor) but could not get it to work - not sure if I am doing it correctley - it still pulls everything not layers. Please help

3. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

It totally works with the adobe reader like he said. I tried it. Copied, pasted into paint, and volia! No text!

4. Arbarth

Arbarth New Member

I can get the image no problem - but not a layer with no text - what am I doing wrong? or am I using the incorrect software?

Let me know plz

5. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

When in adobe reader, with the select tool active, you should be able to left click the picture and have it highlight blue. Right click and select copy. Paste into other program (paint) and it sould not have any text. Conversely, you should be able to use the same select tool to highlight just the text if you wanted to. I am using Adobe Reader X.

6. neofax

neofax New Member

Does paint allow you to scale the image? If not, I would use GIMP instead so you can scale the image so the grid on the map aligns with the grid inside d20Pro both Horizontally and Vertically. Paizo is notorious for having non-true square grids.

7. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I am not sure, I was just using paint as an example program.

8. neofax

neofax New Member

Would you be so kind as to show me how to setup the above items? I am trying to make a Spiked Pit Trap and do not know how to set it up using abilities as there is no where I can put auto hit and 1d6 dmg(unless I make an attack, but that is not in the abilities area).

9. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Spiked Pit Trap (CR2)
    Type mechanical; Perception DC 20; Disable Device DC 20

Falling Damage (10ft): Automatically 1D6 (Acrobatics check DC 15 to avoid)
    Secondary Damage (Spikes - 1D4 spikes per target): attack +10, damage 1D4+2 each spike (Reflex DC 20 avoids spikes)

Personally, I would set this up as attacks.

Then have it play out in the following way:
    1) Have player roll Acrobatics to see if they avoid damage from falling.
    2) Have player roll Reflex save to avoid spikes. If the player fails... have the player (for dramatic effects) or you can roll in the Core Dice the number of spikes that they land on.
    3) Use Falling Damage attack and confirm damage if the player failed their Acrobatics check.
    4) Use Secondary Damage (from spikes) attack and see if any hit the player using the Declare Attacks and Resolving Attack Actions if the player failed their Reflex Save. Simply click on the number of attacks the spikes get to make on the Declare Attacks window.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

You have set it up to determine how many spikes the PC hits first, then rolling that many attacks. I have never actually seen a spiked pit trap in a game before, but I thought there was only a single attack roll for the spikes, after which you determine how many spikes the PC hits and roll damage. Am I wrong?

11. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

You as a GM can change any rule as you see fit to make the game experience more fun, realistic, or to speed up game-play. The official ruling is below, if interested.

Treat each spike as a separate attack is the "official" ruling, since: 1 even while a creature is falling they still can use their dexterity to somewhat control their descent (not flat footed, think sky divers); and 2 each spike at the bottom of the trap are positioned in a different location. The 1d4 amount of spikes is the number of spikes that do hit, however, it does not constitute instant damage since each spike need to attack and pass the falling creature's Armor Class.

3.5 OGL http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm
    Code:
    Pit traps often have something nastier than just a hard floor at the bottom. A trap designer may put spikes, monsters, or a pool of acid, lava, or even water at the bottom. Spikes at the bottom of a pit deal damage as daggers with a +10 attack bonus and a +1 bonus on damage for every 10 feet of the fall (to a maximum bonus on damage of +5). If the pit has multiple spikes, a falling victim is attacked by 1d4 of them. This damage is in addition to any damage from the fall itself.
    "The victim is attacked by 1d4 of them"

Pathfinder OGL http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/environment.html
    Code:
    Pit Spikes: Treat spikes at the bottom of a pit as daggers, each with a +10 attack bonus. The damage bonus for each spike is +1 per 10 feet of pit depth (to a maximum of +5). Each character who falls into the pit is attacked by 1d4 spikes. This damage is in addition to any damage from the fall itself, and the statistics presented above are merely the most common variant—some traps might have far more dangerous spikes at their bottom. Pit spikes add to the average damage of the trap (see Average Damage, below).
    "Each character who falls into the pit is attacked by 1d4 spikes."

12. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Excellent, thanks for that info. I like to know the official rules whenever possible. That way when I change them it's easier to offer plausible justification. :twisted: But really the official way is easier to set up in d20pro. I don't believe the other way would be possible in d20pro. But I've been wrong about that before, too.

13. tifanny357

tifanny357 New Member

I also have a problem of the map displaying. And I want to add and burn an image to the map.