1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 8 Java Install Issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CPickler, Dec 28, 2013.

1. CPickler

CPickler New Member

I have read the other issues people are having with Windows 8 and the program, but mine is a different breed.

I have tried two different computers, one running Windows 8 64 bit, one running Windows 8.1 64 bit. I have Java 1.6 x64 and x86 installed on both boxes. Both paths are installed in the Program Files (x86) directory.

If I click on the exe I get, Could not create the Java Virtual machine even when running as administrator.

If I click on the bat I get, the program loading but telling me that "The computer is preventing d20Pro from writing to the file system..." when running not as an administrator.

If I click on the bat I get, Unable to access jarfile d20Pro.dat when running as administrator and running the 86 or 64 bit.

These are fresh installs. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

A few Questions.

Is the UAC running on these systems?

Is D20PRO installed in it's own folder under c:/?

Outside of that, be sure that the BAT and EXE are allowed to run as Admin ( I see you tried that, but I thought I would say it anyway).

Also, maybe Java should have it's own Folder under c:/ as well.

I do not own a Win 8 machine, but I am support for a fellow gamer who does. I had to disable his UAC and all the other above bits to get his to work.

Hope you find some help in this. Keep inquiring if you don't.

Cheers!

3. CPickler

CPickler New Member

UAC was on default settings and Java and d20Pro were installed in their normal directories in Program Files.

I have turned off UAC, no changes.

I have installed d20Pro in the C:\d20Pro Folder, and I can run the bat files now as a standard user. If I run them as administrator they fail with the same error.

That is odd, but I can use the program now, so I will take it. Thank you for the assistance.