1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Wizard does not add prepared spells correctly

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by AEIOU, Aug 25, 2017.

1. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

d20pro does not allow you to prepare (INT mod + level) for your number of spells you can cast for Wizard.

For reference, from PHB:
    You prepare the list of wizard spells that are available for you to cast. To do so. choose a number of wizard spells from your spellbook equal to your Intelligence modifier + your wizard level (minimum of one spell). The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. For example. ifyou're a 3rd-level wizard. you have four lst—level and two 2nd—level spell slots. With an Intelligence of 16. your list of prepared spells can include six spells of lst or 2nd level. in any combination, chosen from your spellbook.

In screenshot below, a level 1 wizard with 16 INT should have four prepared spells but can only choose two.

The level 1 wizard can only cast two 1st level spells per rest but does not have the versatility wizards are supposed to have. should 0 level have an infinity sign for castings?

upload_2017-8-24_22-27-21.png

Attached Files:

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Thank you, we'll have a look at it.

3. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi, I know this has been idle for awhile. I'm working on a fix for this to make the spell slotting work with the old system. Our plan and hope had been to be further along on our new spell mechanic which would allow for more arbitrary bonus spell slotting.

As to the cantrip, yes, it is infinite now, it just shows a number because of the legacy support for 3.5 and pathfinder. You'll note that casting cantrips does not decrement the spell slots however!

4. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi, so i was re-reading this and re-reading it to make sure I got it and then went out and checking UA and other sources.

The wording is confusing because they talk about the intelligence of the caster, however, the int bonus does not play a role in how this wizard can slot spells.

Where D20PRO falls short at the moment is that in 5th ed, you could memorize spells that are higher level than your spell slots would allow you to cast .. i.e. at 3rd level a wizard has 6 spell slots that can be prepared with 1st and 2nd level spells known to fill them. The way 5e is worded, if our wizard knew 6 2nd level spells she could prepare all 6 and just ignore the 1st level spell slot pool.

Coding this is possible, however we'll need to create a new UI to handle this as detailed above. So, working on it :)