1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

3.3.1 Effects Bug

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by Wesley Gorby, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I showed this to Mat yesterday, but I thought I would post it up for completeness...

There seems to be a bug in 3.3.1 where Ability:Effects targeting AC are not working correctly..

Effect(-2AC, Infinite)

PC with AC:20
    fire off effect, PC gains the effected marker, effect is listed on PC 'Quick Character View under active effects'.. but effect does not reduce the AC on the 'Quick Character View under stats [ie: AC: 18*]'.. and the AC is not reduced when targeting said PC with an Attack (Still reads.. AC 20)

Applying the same Effect multiple times also does not stack as it should.

Tried this under several different conditions applying the effect (-2, infinite) to Stats and such and it does work as expected, so it seems to be limited to something with AC ...

2. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Did this and in doing so, i think I narrowed it down some more.. If the target of the Effect (AC[armor] -2) does not have anything in the armor field Armor:0.. it seems to ignore the effect.. whereas say AC[unnamed] in the targets AC line is effected by Effect AC -2 [Unnamed]..

My thought tho is, It shouldb't matter if the target has anything in any specific armor area for the Effect to be effective.. An AC -2[armor] should reduce the total AC weather or not the Target of the effect has anything in AC:Armor or not..

but the logic of course ruins me.. if effect is reducing Armor and the target has no armor to reduce...

now I feel like a total dumbass <laugh>

3. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met Krillion_GD,

This is indeed a bug, the original design didn't anticipate specific modifiers (e.g. Armor) to be negative. So effects with negative values are being ignored.

I'd like to fix this hopefully for v3.3, though because this is a long standing bug, it might be better to give it full attention and release soon in v3.4.

Has anyone else encountered this limitation yet? Any suggestions for how to handle a negative armor bonus?

Perhaps negatives should eat away at a positive value but not go below 0. So a creature with no armor wouldn't be affected.

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

more silly observations.. Effect:Skills modifiers..
    if a skill is tied to a stat, setting Skill -1 works..
    if the skill is not tied to a stat the modifications do not work..
    IE (both skills below are set to Ranks: 2, Misc: 0)
    GrappleTest| |Core (-2 effect will not work)
    Acrobatics|DEX|General (-2 effect will work)

Also
    if a stat is set to - rather than a number
    Wis: -
    History|WIS|General (-2 effect will not work)

5. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Actually the way it is, isn't a problem now that I understand how it is doing its magic.. Moving forward, if I want to effect the creatures AC regardless of AC type I just have to remember to place the mod in 'Unnamed' and that does seem to always reduce the AC..

Tho I have not experimented to see if that breaks past 10.. for the AC = (10 base + Armor + Dex + size etc etc...)