1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

3.4.5 memory use.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Golkiwu, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I just started checking out the 3.4.5 release and I am concerned with the large amount of ram it seems to require. My laptop, with a smaller processor but the same ram as my desktop is packing out 64-72% of my available memory (I am running Google Drive which is a hog too) but with my Desktop running 3.3 + Onedrive/G-Drive/Dropbox/Google Chrome and my vent instance, I am utilizing only 48%. Both are running the latest Java. I am REALLY hopeful that this is not normal usage.

Additionally, 3.4.4 brought in all the active effects across all of my campaigns into the active one.

Any comment on these issues?

2. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

***UPDATE***

My laptop was apparently being special. I ran the program just now and not only is it not trashing my Memory Use, it booted up faster than I have ever experienced.

Sorry for the drama. :?

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Golkiwu,

I'm glad it was just an isolated instance. I was trying to recreate the cpu utilization and haven't been able to.

Is the Active Effects still all-in-one vs how it should be - contained in each campaign?

4. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

The effects seems to have been instanced on initial startup after copying my campaign folders over to the new installation. It has not repeated, but I have not run again on that campaign. I will know more in the xomming weeks. All of this was occurring after the fresh installation.

5. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I have not been able to replicate the Effects issue. I think it was as issue that occurred due to the initial import of all of my campaign folders. As to the memory, I opened up another large campaign, and it crashed several times processing the legacy JPG's. I had 1gb, and had to up the heap to 2gb. It processed them after that (4000+) and it loaded fine afterward. I did notice that the Memory use was very high after it initially processed the Legacy images, but upon reboot of the client, it dropped almost 20%. I think it is related to the instance after processing the legacy JPG's.

I have to say, I am still in AWE on how fast this loads now.

6. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Golkiwu,

Thank you for the additional information, I'll be creating a FAQ for this instance for when people upgrade from 3.3.x or before to 3.4.5 or after that processing images upon first start-up of the new version may require a higher allocation of RAM and system resources until all images have been converted.

I'm glad you are liking the new start-up method :) It is very handy for those who have large libraries :)