1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

3.5.7 some bugs

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by Stonesnake, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Stonesnake

Stonesnake Member

Been using d20Pro for years now on a weekly basis and noticed several bugs in our last few sessions using 3.5.7.

• Players have been complaining that when creatures get to zero HP during combat or less they do not always see the Skull appear on a dead/dying monster. I do have the condition set correctly on my options (Team + dead or dying). I would say that it occurs approximately 25% of the time so far during combat. Don't see any rhyme or reason for it yet but it's been fairly annoying during combat as I'll say a monster is dropped but everyone else says they don't see a skull on that creature and it has been messing up our combats.
    • I have a PC with some active effects on him (i.e. he is poisoned and has 4 STR damage) and then I made a clone of that character (because he leveled up). The active effects are still on the cloned character and can't be removed, even if the effects are removed from the game.
    • The BAB override doesn't appear to be working until you close the active character. If you make it a higher/lower number than default and check it off your attacks aren't affected/changed at all. You have to change the BAB override, close the character sheet, reopen the sheet and then you'll see the updated attacks on the "Attack" tab. I'm pretty sure it worked instantly on the older build (you didn't need to open/close the sheet so many times).
    • Critical hits appear to be buggy. Several times a PC will score a critical hit and they get a damage result which is impossible. For example, in our game last night our archer who does d8+2 damage and X3 damage did a crit and rolled a result of 4 damage ... which is impossible for x3 damage. This one appears fairly random but if you just attack the ground in the game a few times you'll see this one come up like 10% of the time or so. Don't see a pattern to this one yet but it happened twice last night in our game where the results were impossibly low for a crit.
    Let me know if I can help on solving any of these, thanks!

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Stonesnake!

Thanks for reporting, we do appreciate your valuable input! :)

What is the death condition you set so we can test/see what's going on? Is it only players unable to see dying/dead condition or does it display incorrectly on both GM/Player side?

Okay, I see what you're talking about here. It seems like the clone takes on the adjusted stats of the original creature instead of the original stats - thus, no active effect but still the same penalty applied as it's the adjusted stat that carried over. Interesting.

This behavior is identical to previous versions, though, I agree that it would be better the way you suggest.

I'm sure other people will have questions about this too especially for people who have custom rules on critical hits, so I'll give a full explanation (to fix your specific issue please add a type of damage in your damage setup, see below for more details :) )

The main issue you are having where critical multipliers are not being applied, is you did not specify a type of damage. Please edit your attack's damage to include "piercing" for your ranged attack. This applies to other damage types as not all damage types are subject to the critical multiplier. :)

Now let's go into the Critical(s) discussion:
    Pathfinder Rules:
    Code:
    A critical hit means that you roll your damage more than once, with all your usual bonuses, and add the rolls together. Unless otherwise specified, the threat range for a critical hit on an attack roll is 20, and the multiplier is ×2.
    D&D 3.5
    Code:
    A critical hit means that you roll your damage more than once, with all your usual bonuses, and add the rolls together. Unless otherwise specified, the threat range for a critical hit on an attack roll is 20, and the multiplier is ×2. 
    Thus D20PRO rolls multiple dice based on the dice multiple.
    So, in the following attack setup:
    Damage: 1d8 + 2 piercing
    Crit: x3
    Type: DEX/-

You would have a critical result within the following dice range 3d8 + 2 which gives a value range of (3 + 2 = 5) through (24 + 2 = 26).

So, let's say you have a house-rule that also multiplies the bonus, here's how to set that up:
    Damage:
    - line 1: 1d8 + 2 piercing
    - line 2: 0d0 + 4 piercing critical
    Crit: x3
    Type: DEX/-

Note: that the second damage line will only trigger if a critical hit is confirmed (all other times it will say 0 damage for this line when applying a normal hit's damage), and the damage value is static. If the character increases their applied bonus to damage, either through magical arrows or a higher comp str bonus, we can add that damage manually in the + damage section of the damage line(s).

3. Stonesnake

Stonesnake Member

This one is tricky to track down as I don't see any pattern to this as of yet. Right now I as the GM see the skull appear on the monster, but NONE of my PCs see the skull on the monster when he gets into the negatives. Since my PCs are only level 2 right now all damage is just from normal combat during attacks. No power attacks, no sneak attack damage, just straight attacks. I refresh the screen, move the monster around sometimes but it never changes the icon into a skull for them.

I BELIEVE they hear the sound of the monster dropping as they often say "Hey! Who died!" when that happens, quickly followed up with, "We don't see the skull on any of the monsters". So they hear the sound, but they don't see the skull appear. Meanwhile I just hide the monsters when they drop, but still this should (obviously) work correctly.

I'll try to capture information for the next time it happens and send you logs (if you tell me how to do that).

The other answers make sense. Thanks.

4. Stonesnake

Stonesnake Member

Found another bug:

If your character has CON damage (i.e. an effect that makes their CON go down a bit) when the program is figuring out if the character is truly dead (more negative HP than their CON) it's using their original CON score from the character and not the modified CON score.

For example, if a PC has a CON score of 15 and then takes -6 CON damage during a fight (so his CON is now 9) and then goes down to -10 HP his character should be dead. The program still has him alive as it's looking at the 15 CON score and only marks his character as dead once his HP hits -15.

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

This is RAW, and correct application.

Ability Damage is temporary, and thus does not change the Ability Score, which is what decides the max negative HP before death.

Ability Drain is permanent, and thus when applying a permanent Ability Drain ability we actually modify the Ability Score in the Character Sheet.

This is why Ability Damage does not affect death rules.

If you want to have House Rules simply treat damage as drain, or vice versa. Either apply directly on character sheet (for Drain type effect) or as an effect (for Damage type effect).

6. Stonesnake

Stonesnake Member

Okay, I was using effects for just about everything (I don't like to change the character sheets directly as sometimes we forget to change them back). I guess we'll just use notes or something for drain.