1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

64 bit version of D20Pro

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cyderak, Feb 19, 2011.

1. cyderak

cyderak Member

Is there a 64 bit version of D20Pro on the horizon?

Right now i use the batch file to launch it.
    It opens up another black dialog box that has to be minimized and sometimes in the jumbling of windows accidentally gets shut down and in the process shuts down D20Pro.
    Just saying it'd be easier if there was a specific 64 bit version of D20Pro so the 64 Bit users don't have to use a work-around.

2. Dragonmaster13

I am a Windows 64-bit operator and have no problems at all. I just installed the program, have a shortcut on the desktop and the start menu. Click on either one and the program runs fine. No need to run a batch file, no window juggling, just the program working as it should. I don't even have anything chosen under compatiability; just normal Windows 7. Just make sure the shortcuts point to Program Files (x86)/MindGene/d20Pro/d20Pro (the big blue die) and it should run just fine.

3. cyderak

cyderak Member

I forgot I use the batch file because I allocated more RAM. So I guess my real question would be, when is D20Pro going to come out with a version where the right amount of RAM would automatically be allocated to run the D20Pro software flawlessly without having to run it through a batch file?

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Here's what I do...

1. Open "regedit.exe"
    2. Find the path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Wow6432Node > Mindgene > d20Pro
    3. Modify "JVM_OPTS" to "-Xmx1024m -Xss1024k -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false -Dsun.java2d.noddraw -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false"
    4. Close out of regedit.exe
    5. Open d20Pro normally using d20Pro.exe

Note: you may change any of the numbers in the bold.
    xmx is max heap size
    xss is size of stack
    xx:maxpermsize - java recommands 1/4 of xmx value, as a personal preference I use 1/2 of xmx value for d20Pro.

5. Dan

Dan Member

I agree with Edward. The problem with the "right amount" of ram is that d20pro runs in Java, and that amount of RAM has to be set in the program at install. We settled for 512 MB because that allows the best performance while still allowing netbooks and other small devices or older machines to run it.

That RAM amount is set in the exe, but you can override it either through a batch file or by modifying your Registry. I suppose we could write a batch to modify your registry, but that would depend on Windows version - and that wouldn't work with Linux or Mac.

One of Java's major strengths is cross-platform accessibility, but that also limits our options a bit too.

6. cyderak

cyderak Member

How hard would it be for the D20Pro staff to write a batch to modify the registry? is it a long process or can it be banged out in an afternoon?........Just curious.

7. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Which 64-bit OS are you using?

8. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

IF you have the same OS as me.. simply create a file, name it "whatever.reg" copy-paste this entire code into your file.
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\MindGene\d20Pro]
    "JVM_OPTS"="-Xmx512m -Xss512k -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false -Dsun.java2d.noddraw -
    Dsun.java2d.d3d=false"

save file.
    open file.
    accept registry addition.
    send me non-counterfeit, non-sequential, US currency :p
    enjoy.

9. cyderak

cyderak Member

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium

10. cyderak

cyderak Member

I'm really not the kind to futz with registry-type fixes. i guess i'll just have to wait for the D20Pro guys to release a fix for the problem.

11. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met cyderak,

I added this to our feature tracking system and we'll get a solution in soon. For a quick way to address this, I'm leaning towards putting the memory settings directly in the d20Pro Installer. And you're able to run the installer over an existing installation if you need to change the settings after install.

12. cyderak

cyderak Member

thanks......Very appreciated.

13. Dan

Dan Member

Strange, I close that window almost immediately and my d20pro never shuts down.

Good news - we just added an option in the installer to prompt the user to specify his/her ram allotment. Look for it in the next release.

14. cyderak

cyderak Member

Awesome.......look forward to it.

15. cyderak

cyderak Member

So does this mean we have to re-install D20Pro or does it just install over the top??

Speaking of 2.4, Hows it coming?