1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

A NEWBIE HAS SOME QUESTIONS...lol...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by danielpryor, Nov 19, 2011.

1. danielpryor

danielpryor New Member

OK so I'm thinking about using this software as it seems it will suit all my needs but before I jump in and pay money, I wanted to ask a few questions about it, etc....

So, basically what I need the software for is simply viewing/displaying maps. I might use the grid feature sometimes as I have generic wilderness maps I use from time to time. I also really like the idead of using AOE templates for showing different effects, etc. I might even use the dice roller and the fog of war features possibly too. I won't need it for rules (I use an Ipad that has all books in pdf), monster tokens (i use real miniatures for that), intitiave tracker (again an Ipad app), or to keep track of creature damage, etc.

So I need to know a few things here such as:

Do I need to be online and "login" to the server to run a game (I want to be able to run one offline). I won't be connecting it to anything but a 40" LCD screen that lays flat on a table so I don't need to be networked or anything, just one screen showing the map. As I get more familiar with the program I suppose it would be neat to use the combat tracker but can I setup "encounters" ready to go without using the token to represent the monsters.

Also, can I move say a statue screen or inti window over to another monitor (I have 4 total), or am I stuck using just one monitor?

A few simple things are hanging me up as well such as I go to roll the dice and I can't see any result or dice on the screen, am I configuring something wrong? I also can't see a "save result" either when clickin on a token.

How do we rotate the map? I'm not usually looking at it in portrait but landscape mode. Also, how do we view it "full map view"? I want to be able to toggle the button interface back and forth. etc.

I guess I'm just not doing it right. I'm try to find an in-depth user manual but there seems to be none. Is there a pdf file with the download I haven't found or something?

If anyone can give me some feedback I'd appreciate it. So far out of all the D&D desktop map utils this seems to have the features I want, I guess I am simply needing to read up on it more to learn the software. Thanks.
    -Daniel

2. scienceboyroy

scienceboyroy New Member

No, that's just for the trial license. If you buy the judge's license, it will run fine offline.

As far as I can tell, most of the windows you would want open are probably stuck in the main window, unless you're unusually clever with your monitor setup (maybe AMD's Hydravision or something similar, but I don't know much about them). I had assumed they all were, but I discovered just a moment ago that the Edit Creature window can be moved independently of the d20Pro window. I'm still unsure which others can do this, but the Game Log is not among them.

Open the Game Log window from the d20Pro menu button. Die rolls show up there, among other things.

I would suggest using your video card utility (Catalyst Control Center, nVidia Control Panel, etc.) to rotate the whole thing, if that's what you're trying to do. Otherwise, try the image scaler from the Draw Tools window. I can't seem to get the hang of it (I'm new to this, myself), but there's this: http://help.mindgene.com/tools/map-tools/image-scaler.
    Would using the scroll wheel on your mouse to zoom in and out meet your needs? If you're asking about an overland map, someone else will have to help, as I haven't figured that out yet.
    As far as I know, the http://help.mindgene.com/ page is the manual. If someone else can tell you otherwise, I'll learn something, too.

But there's what I can tell you. I'm new to this, as I said, but I hope to have answered some of your questions, at least.

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I use two monitors for d20Pro.
    1 - Map and Roster
    2 - All my DM Tools (Active Effects, Draw Tools, Game Tools, Library, Core Dice, and Game Log).

I just stretch the main d20Pro window to span two monitors.