1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

A question about Player Characters Import XML

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by volg, Nov 14, 2009.

1. volg

volg New Member

Would it be plausible to request an XML DTD so I could create my own character converter from various character creation tools to a format readily understood by D20Pro? (such as the XML DTD used by HeroLabs for D20 Export?)
    I ask as over the years I've obtained, donated to and bought a number of character generators already and would prefer not to have to buy yet another one.. I've a small fortune invested in e-Tools for instance. and have donated various times (time and money) to PCGen.

2. mobius125

mobius125 New Member

Amen brother

3. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

I can understand where you're coming from here. I'll pass this suggestion along to the developers but I'm not sure all that would be involved with this so I can't promise we will be able to fit it into the development schedule any time soon.

4. volg

volg New Member

Ah, but my proposal is more along the lines of documentation.. i.e. the XML DTD is the description of the XML file they expect to be seeing when an xml file is presented to their importer. I can write external scripts utilities et cetera based on converting the formats I already get from the other apps to convert them appropriately, thus making no additional work for the developers. Sorry if it sounds horridly technical, I'm a UNIX Admin by trade and try not to make extra work for others. (XML DTD = XML Document Type Definitions) :D

5. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

Sorry Volg, I know exactly what you're talking about but for some reason it looks like I responded to an almost completely different post. Wish I had an excuse but I was wide awake and had already had my coffee for the day. :roll:

This thread has been brought to the attention of the guys who can write the documentation. I'll pop back in here to let you know when they're able to get around to it.

6. volg

volg New Member

Cool Thanks. don't worry, I've gotten so used to talking over people's heads unintentionally. It long since ceased feeling like an annoyance to clarify, rather a habit instead. Besides, most of these posts do result in a feature creep.. I mean request...
    :lol:

7. ogexam

ogexam Member

We do not have such a document, but it is an interesting idea to make a standard importable set of xml commands.

You could just grab an xml file exported by herolabs to see the layout, and just stick with that and things should import fine.