1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

A seperate D20Pro Map & Creature making program.

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by cyderak, Jul 5, 2011.

1. cyderak

cyderak Member

I think it'd be a huge improvement to the D20Pro program to separate the Core program from the Map & Creature creation process.

Just omit the Map & Creature making feature in the core program and release a VERY streamlined D20Pro Map & Creature Making Program that creates the maps & creatures

And then stores the maps & creatures in a directory that D20pro can load each map & creature from separtely instead of D20pro loading every map & creature that is created by the software everytime D20pro is started.

I'm not a computer guru so i don't know how intensive of a process that would be but I think it would speed up the core D20Pro program emmensely. :D

2. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

This actually sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe there's even some tools already available that could be incorporated into this? We'd just need the d20 map file format, and some free time....

3. Leathermartini

Leathermartini New Member

I could definitely see the use of the creature creation tool, especially if players could use it. That way they could setup their character themselves and just email me their .d20pro file.

4. thepriz

thepriz New Member

The separate creature making program I use is HeroLabs. If your players use this they can create their characters and they can export them for you in the d20pro format. As far as a separate map creation tool, that doesn't sound so bad especially if it will improve efficiency. I use CC3 to make my map backgrounds then export them as a png. I then import them into d20pro and then add creatures / object to the map.

I would like to see layers added to the map so that I can have a secret layer that I put stuff on the map that I don't want the players to see right away (or forever if their perception/search check is bad).

5. kelendros

kelendros New Member

I as well use hero labs. I would like to say though that if there were a separate program to create players I would also like it to be a virtual character sheet program that could directly interact with the game... and look and feel like an old school character sheet. I can already envision players sitting around a multi touch table with tablets with a touch based character sheet on board that talks directly to the server so they can choose actions on their tab's and send them into the game...Tab's are getting cheaper and cheaper so this would defiantly be an option for most people. (while building a multi touch table is still semi expensive :( ).

6. kelendros

kelendros New Member

As for the map system my mind began to wander the other day. Then my brain began to water over the idea of a map creator like the one from Never Winter Nights. I love the way you could choose 3d tiles to make an awesome map. I have to say that the tile idea is awesome expecilally if all the LoS and lighting features are in place for the Fog of War that is being worked on. This map maker would be THE best, and send all the other VTT systems running back to the drawing boards. Of course the tiles would be fully animated and customizable but I am sure that the user community would even buy these in sets, couple this with a token maker so each player can "sculpt" a virtual minature and attach it to their character...and your on fire ;).