1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

About Effects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yaourth, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Yaourth

Yaourth New Member

I've never used the effects tools during my games because i didn't take the time to have a look on it before tonight.

So, tomorrow, i've a session and one player will certainly use a Entangle spell (Dru 1). I want to take this occasion to preset an d20 pro effect with the spell effect and i can't do what i want. I don't know if it"s a mistake on my side or just a bug.

The spell effect :

-2 To hit
    -4 Dex
    Duration : 1 minute
    Reflexe DC14 cancel the effect for the round

I'm using the Effect Editor to set these datas in the different fields and click on the Save button... hopping to reload the parameters when it needed. But it does not wok... When I want to reload, the duration and save parameters disappears and i must reset them. When i want to apply to targets, the To Hit penalty works but the Abilities one (-4 Dex) does not.
    So, the effect tools seems useless if i must review and reset parameters each time.

My questions : is it possible to prepare an effect before a game and load it with durations and save DC OK ? Is it possible to link an effect to an area (like a burst for example) ?

Many thanks for all !!

2. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met Yaourth,

Currently spells don't take full benefit of the effects system. As you discovered, while you can save the effect impacts, the duration and save don't come along for the ride. The next major release of d20Pro include a complete reprisal of the spells/effects/items/attacks system to make it as easy to use as the attack system.

In the meantime, the best workaround is to add your spell effects as at will Abilities. The Abilities do persist the save and duration, in addition to the impacts.

So then you'd just burn the spell without any effect and at the same time trigger your Ability to manifest the actual effect. We apologize for asking you to use this workaround. A brand new system will be available early next year that will blow your socks off with a full fledged effects library and spells that will automatically vary with caster level. It's going to be 1337 you have my word!

In the meantime I hope this workaround keeps you playing fast, better, and anywhere.

3. Yaourth

Yaourth New Member

Thanks for your answer and no problem to apply your workaround !! d20pro works really fine, without bug and allows great virtual games... it"s the most important after all :)

our session last sunday (the bandit camp in Kingmaker #1), with multiple enemies, was very fun and smart to play with your soft, even with manual apply of spells ! But i'm waiting the next update to test the new system which seems very nice.