1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Adding/Changing background map image after creation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lonewolf147, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

I have a bunch of maps that were created by making the main map out of a Tile.

This is causing problems when I want to add more tiles and paint images.

Is there a way to add a background image of the map, then delete the map tile? I would prefer not to have to recreate the entire map, FOW, monster tokens, etc...

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Layer0 is the base layer and can be replaced, just make note of it's dimensions. It will always be a Layer/Tile tho.. but you can "Lock" it.. if your issue is with placing other tiles. just hold the "Ctrl" key when placing them. If it is with painting, make sure to toggle the 'Paint above Tiles' check box on the bottom of the paint screen.

3. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

So here's the situation. I have a map. I understand that it is always going to be a Tile. I can easily place other tiles on it, and I do for room furnishings (statues, tables, coffins, etc). But, when I go to Pain textures for the floor of the room, I tell it to paint Above Tiles and it covers everything up. If I tell it to paint Below Tiles, it gets hidden by the main map tile.

Attached Files:

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

use the Manage Tiles button, place tiles while holding the Ctrl key and use pageup pagedown to adjust their height in the layer order. This will create the effect you are looking for, rather than using the 'paint tiles' button. Here is an example of a portal..

Attached Files:

5. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

Ok, so essentially I can't 'paint' between tile layers? Instead of painting the floor black, I'll have to place a black tile in every square and keep them at a lower level than the rest of the room furnishing, but a higher level than the main map?

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

well to be honest, I'm not totally sure I understand what it is you are trying to do. if you like to talk more indepth, I'd be happy to try and figure it out... but, need a bit more to go on, than that first image you presented.. if you'd like to chat, catch me on Skype or Teamspeak.. I'm sure we can sort it out..

7. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

Thanks, I did send you a request on Skype.

8. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

You can be hard to catch with my own weird schedule :)

Let me try to walk through step by step what I'm doing. Perhaps you can duplicate it on your side then.

Open d20Pro and go to the library and create a new map.
    Create the map from a file, preferably some plain map image like this one.

Now, I don't want the floor to be white, so I want to Paint some color or image onto it (I'll just use any color for this example)
    In order to see the color, I need to Paint Above Tiles. If I go Below, then the color is hidden by the map itself.

Now, I want to add in the bed that I just covered up, so I want to place a tile of a bed there (so that it can be removed later when the PC's ultimately destroy it). But, when I place a tile there, it is placed UNDER the Paint layer and hidden.

Does that make more sense for what I'm trying to do?

Attached Files:

9. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Well.. if it were me, I wouldn't use the "Paint" tool in this instance. I would use the "Tile" tool. I'd make a swatch of the color I wanted to use for the floor. Then I'd Ctr-Left Click for force placement of the tile. once all the "colored floor" tiles were in place. I'd do the same thing for the "bed tile", but use page-up/page-down keys to make sure it was layered above the base image, the "floor tiles" so it was on top...

But to be honest, now that I see what you are getting at... It would be much easier to just open the base image in GIMP or Photoshop and replace the floor areas you want with the color or texture you want. Once that is done, then you can use transparent decor objects (tiles) like beds and furniture to decorate the map..

hope that helps some..

10. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

I have been using tiles to *color* the floors, but thought that it was slowing thing down with so many tiles. I hoped I could Paint them instead and save some memory.

Thanks for the input though.

11. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

if it is memory you are worried about then definitely want to; It would be much easier to just open the base image in GIMP or Photoshop and replace the floor areas you want with the color or texture you want. Once that is done, then you can use transparent decor objects (tiles) like beds and furniture to decorate the map..

The example below took less than 1 minute in GIMP.

Attached Files:

12. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

again if you'd like to catch me on TeamSpeak or Skype, I'd be happy to show you how to do it... you'll have lots better luck catching me on TS tho, I usually only fire up Skype when I need to get a hold of Thraxxis or one of the other team members in a rush.