1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Adding elevation data (via text) to existing maps?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zandari, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Zandari

Zandari New Member

I am trying to add some note information to a map (specifically, I want to show elevation changes between various stair landings). Do I have to remake the entire map, and type those numbers in using photoshop/Gimp, or is there a way to add text notes to an existing map in d20Pro?

I found that there was a marker option, so you can make a dot that shows hovertext. That's pretty close to what I want, but not quite. I noticed there is an entry point on that dialog that asks for type. What goes in that box?

Also, I tried using these markers to mark elevation, but it would only let me make one marker of (for instance) name: 5' type: elevation. I really need like three of those to put in various places around the map.

How do other folks mark elevation levels on their maps?

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

You can create a creature, and use a number to represent elevation as the token's icon.

Such as: Floor Numbers...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or, can do elevation in feet...

[​IMG]

Then you can put them anywhere on your map.

3. neofax

neofax New Member

Over on the RPTools forums, there is a thread called Jectors Goodies in the User Creations subforum. On the last page of that thread are some elevation markers that I have been using lately. They work really nice for showing 10' increments. You can also use Inkscape or GIMP to make small filled in circles and overlay numbers on top using a layer, then save as a template and you will never run out of height differences and keep consistent.

4. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met,

Though rudimentary, there is a feature for tracking elevation in d20Pro. Right-click on the Creature and use the Location->Elevation feature. You then type in the units you want displayed and any Creatures with non 0 elevation will be decorated with the elevation value.