1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Additional Requests

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Thurgian, May 18, 2010.

1. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I currently copy the stat block for each monster, and load it as an attachment (which I don't broadcast to the players). I do the same thing for magic treasure (Which I do broadcast to the players, if they make the appropriate DC). This allows me to open the attachment and, especially in the case of monsters, make certain that I catch all the appropriate nuances; and that I don't miss anything that the game engine won't handle properly. While this works well enough, a small tweak (small in my opinion at least) would make it better.

If the description tab (for creatures) would support XML format, I could just paste the stat block into each monster. That would go a long ways towards streamlining my process. It wouldn't be necessary for the game to actually make use of the stablock for this to be useful. Alternately, allowing the placement of a link to the saved statblock would work as well. In either case, adding a right-click option to display stablock (for creatures you control) would instantly have the information on the screen - without the need to go looking for it.

Another welcome feature would be an "all-in-one-place" effect tracker. Nothing complex, just something that shows "Fighter A is prone, dazed, ongoing damage of 10; Cleric B is stunned and blind".

I am thinking both of these option, dragged to a secondary display, would provide the DM with a lot information that they would have to otherwise keep track of.

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

Personally I put all the monster's stat block in its notes section, so I can read the notes when needed. Then I started just keeping the SRD open and flip between them.

Are you thinking of another tab besides notes to store a stat block?

We do have plans to update the notes and description section to allow some formating. So it is in the works, but no plans were made to have it read and format xml.

You could have the active effects window open and you can see the effects on a single creature at a glance. As long as you name them like dazed, prone, etc. That is at least one way you can do it now.

Currently you can put the chains on a guy, but that's about it.
    We are thinking of adding more icons, that would show different states: dazed, stunned, poison, paralyzed, etc. Instead of covering the entire picture of the creature they would be overlayed either at the top or bottom, with 4-6 icons per 'row'. What do you think of that idea?

3. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I have tried the "text in the description box" approach, and it works - it just isn't as nice as the xml solution.

I honestly hadn't tried the "status" feature; but I will. However, I would prefer a single screen showing everyones status, opposed to having to check a players status each time.

Icons would likely work; but let me better explain where I am coming from.

I attach a second monitor to the DM PC, and stretch the map to fill both screens. This allows me to drag all kinds of informational windows to the right hand monitor, for easy viewing. I find this reduces the amount of open/close find/display things I must do. It also gives me a huge amount of information, at a glance. I am not greedy, I just want more information :D

While the stretch the screen thing works well, having the ability to drag boxes to another screen (without having to stretch the map) would be nice ...

4. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Ok, I tried the status window.

Two things.

(a) No matter what I do, I can't get an icon to display when the "Effect" is on a monster. The status window will show that "someone" is poisoned, slowed, etc; but not who it is, if it is a monster.

(b) Some effects just don't fit in a meaningful way into the system (this is probably more of an issue of how effects are created, than how they are displayed). For example, I can create an effect called "slowed" but it is only a name. There isn't any mechanism to make certain the player moves at a reduced speed.