1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Animation & Effects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FlynnUOGM, Mar 9, 2011.

1. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

Good Day everyone!

Anyway I was having trouble finding this information on your forums and I didnt see anything in your videos discussing these topics so I would like to present them here. Now mind you if this is availible elsewhere and I overlooked it I do appologize as I did search.

I am an actual game developer, I have a library of game effects, animations, etc. So what I would like to know is does this support animation? I saw the videos show instant movement of a token / creature to its destination, I would like to know if there is a way to implament my media so that the movement of these tokens can be utilized with my library.

Also, if a spell is cast or an attack hits its target would it be possible to have a sound effect play?

If a spell or ability (psionic or otherwise) is used or even an arrow fired can an appropriate effect showing the arrow or spell effect hit its target?

And finally, I play AD&D 2nd edition, primarily the Darksun campaign setting. I would like to know is it possible to implament armor pieces and psionic points (Psp's)?

Thanks for reviewing these questions!

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello!

Currently, the only animation d20Pro supports is animated GIF for creature tokens. There is currently no way to assign media to attacks, effects, or movement.

This would be best served to place this part inside the Feature Request board since this would be a really handy feature. I know of another VTT which uses media in the way you describe, however it can look daunting to a new user. Perhaps the d20Pro developers can implement a better way.

Psionic Points: can be in the "Abilities" tab, using "Per Day" to keep track.
    Armor Pieces: I'm not familiar with (It's been almost 20 years since I last played 2e under Darksun), can you give me an example? OR are you just talking about normal equipment that can go inside the "Items" Tab?

3. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

Thanks for the reply! I will submit these ideas to the requested features section - thanks for the suggestion! Is this an open source software license? If so I might be willing to code it myself.

As for armor, see it was an optional rule under AD&D 2nd edition but in the Darksun campain it was actually heavily implamented. The way it works is if I find a gauntlet or the upper arm of a piece of armor or some leg guards that can be used in conjunction with thigh pads. etc etc. :eek:)

Anyway thanks for the reply!

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I would just modify one of the AC fields to reflect this.

5. cyderak

cyderak Member

I added Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale PC game GIF animations to all my creatures but over time I found that the animations Bog down D20Pro immensely.

After a while of dealing with the turtle speed D20pro I just got rid of the animations and went back to the jpg portrait files.

They have to ramp up the amount of RAM you can use with the software and test it to make sure it works and then give us, the consumers a set number of animations that can be used with D20Pro without bogging down the software before you take the time to create a sizeable amount of GIF animations with D20Pro.

From what I've heard they are working on the RAM issue with D20Pro.

6. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Personally I can do without animations. I'm not playing a video game, and my imagination works just fine. My players have already started drifting towards video game tendencies, and I don't need to give them any more encouragement. Just my personal opinion. :)

7. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

I was not meaning for that kind of game play - but if you allow effects / animations and utilize them right in a gaming environment it can drastically increase the player immersion.

If players are going toward video game style playing then the dungeon master setup the environment wrong. If you add animations and effects to help with atmosphere and immersion then that only aids to the story.

An example of this would be for instance - a scripted event

The players are resting inside a massive dungeon. They have no choice due to the time it took to get where they are as it would take another days adventure to exit the environment or possible they are locked in. Two players are selected to scrounge for supplies such as water or what ever it may be while the rest of the group setup camp. the players decide to round a corner, unknown to them they have been (story wise) followed by a sub commander of the main antagonist. This mobile (enemy) was waiting for a chance to strike when the group would separate for any reason and now is the time. He has changed into an elemental beast and is hiding within the water source (a underground pond or well). As the players step forward the dungeon master triggers the event. The players watch the display and see a watery slash from the pool accompanied by an audio fitting the event followed by a image still (monster description) is now displayed on screen showing them there attacker.

This is a great way to catch players off guard, if there was spooky ambient music and dim lighting in the actual room the players are sitting in then they might even jump.

8. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Are you calling me a bad GM? Ouch!

Anyway, if the d20pro guys like this idea and implement the features, I won't complain. I'm just saying there are other features more important to me. I'll stop now. I probably shouldn't have interrupted your thread, since I don't have anything constructive to add to the conversation. :)

9. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

lol no no, Sorry I was not implying such. You just got to remind your players what pen and paper are about. d20pro is a tool / aid, not the game. If your players are indeed more focused on such play then step back from using d20pro for certain functions and use it simply as a mapping tool and leave all the descriptions to paragraphs that must be vocalized.

Sorry it came off as an implication, I am not like that and didn't mean to imply it :)

10. cyderak

cyderak Member

11. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

Ill look through these soon,

currently compiling additional audible effects and BGM. Hope these features will be fully supported!!

12. FlynnUOGM

FlynnUOGM New Member

Has there been any updates on this topic?