1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Announcement on Lobby change to Steam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Golldan, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Should be beta testing fairly soon'ish. Owlbear will be back on the 12th, and we will know more then. Most of the team just got back from GenCon, so playing catch up from being gone for a week.

2. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi, just to be clear, when i was working on the new lobby logic, I found some significant flaws in the underlying networking system which we need to make TCP/IP more reliable and build out any new networking system. I've started updating the underlying bits and have improved connectivity and performance of the base networking/transport logic by an order of magnitude.

That being said, there are a couple more network related tasks required before we can fully move to the AMQP system I've been building out to replace the PubNub solution.

Steam networking will happen after we get the application launched onto Steam. I had been banging my head against the wall working on steam networking without being able to test it from within steam -- annoying to say the least.

Additionally. we're considering moving the networking choices from the main Host/Join UI to the Session selection system.

Since our session system is whole our own, it seems like a good place for GM's to advertise connection data if they so desire. You will still be able to use pure peer-to-peer TCP/IP without a session, but enabling cache of that data into a stored session would mean you would not have to tell your players how to connect to you. And if you're hosting from a rotating IP address. hosting on your session would be able to update the stored IP and Port allowing for players to find you while you're hosting your game.

This is not planned as part of the 3.7.9 release we're doing RC builds for right now. but will be the main thrust on the 3.8 build which will wrap up the current user experience and networking changes we've been releasing in previous builds.