1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Asynchronous Play

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Yaourth, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Yaourth

Yaourth New Member

I don't know how this suggest could be add to d20pro. Anyway, it's not a "true" suggest but a feedback after few months of virtual gaming.

I actually master the Kingmaker campaign in a mix of play-by-mail/VTT game. All RP, exploration and talks use the mail and we switch on d20pro for fight scenes. With this system, we need to coordinate our d20pro sessions (one or two monthly). It's not easy for all players to block the same evening for 2 or 3 hours.

So i wonder if it's possible to use d20pro as an asynchronous VTT : the DM open the server 24/24 and players connect when they can, play their move and delog until their next round. For that, we just need the soft keep the owners for each token and allow log to server without the DM validation.

I think about an "account" system. The DM create players accounts in the game and each account give access to the map and to the player's token. When a player connects to the game with his own registered account, he gets control of his character and can play it. When he finish his round, he just hits the space bar and the next player will play when he can (five minutes or 2 hours later...). A candy-feature should be a mail-alert : when a player get the initiative, d20pro send an email to him...

When DM connect, he gets all decisions to valid or not since his last login...

It's not a pure "dynamic game" but this system would permit to keep the campaign rythm (a similar approach is developped on a play-by-forum of the french PF community website... but not easy to use for players).

2. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met Yaourth,

This is an intriguing thought: merging play-by-post pacing with the tactical combat provided by a VTT. Based on how d20Pro is currently designed this won't be a simple transition to support the gameplay mode you describe; however, it is great food for thought for something to support in the future.

Seems like Judge intervention would be necessary at each phase. So a Player could be notified of their turn, take their turn and hit "done". The Judge would then be notified and adjudicate any rolls/events and then officially conclude that player's turn. Then the next Player would be notified to log in at their next chance to take their turn. This would take a decent amount of coding but is certainly possible.

I'd like to know how many other gaming groups out there would benefit from this feature. If you belong to such a group, or would like to, please post here to show your support and add any feedback you think would be useful.

One question I have right away is how would something like an attack of opportunity be handled. Would the Judge be kind enough to instruct Players to take them?

Thoughts please! :)