1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Aura's

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Thurgian, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I find creature Aura's to be Irksome.

Not only do you have to apply the effects of the Aura, but you have to realize that it is present in the first place.

While, ultimately, an enhanced effects system (on going damage, etc) will assist with the first problem; it will do little to fix the second.

So, I was thinking:

If we could have Auras attached to creatures. I envision a selection method similar to Size/Reach - redefined as Radius/Color.

Just a thought.

2. KainPen

KainPen Member

I have the aura set up ability i use as soon as some one comes with in range. it is something i as dm has to keep track of. but actual effect that is constant would make the process less bulky. I don't think aura should be seen by the player it a unknown thing maybe the dm can see it range on his side but not on players. players should not be aware of what is causing it the effect. describing what happen to the player may help other figure out what is going on.

example
    Death knight 2.0 rules aura of fear 10ft radius
    all those with in 10ft must save vs spell, will what ever you use.
    Mike the knight and his group walk slowly toward the the creature in the darkness.
    Mike say i will handle this one. the rest of the group fans out and prepares to back mike up. Mike rush toward the creature.
    The Skeletal figure turns and as mike gets closer to it. a Chill goes does his spine and zap the courage from him.(Mike rolls Save)(Mike fail)

Mike turns and runs like a silly cring for his mama. lmao

3. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I agree, Aura's should be visible only to the owner of the NPC.

4. Dan

Dan Member

The plans for now are that we will be able to attach effects to templates and attach templates to a creature. This would allow things like Magic Circle vs. Evil and so on. That will probably be implemented before true Auras are, as it handles auras (except for invisible ones) and other things too, killing multiple birds with one stone.

5. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I like the sound of that.

Last night I had a heck of a time moving all of the nice colored boxes (the encounter had multiple "sustain minor" and "move area" effects). SInce some of the effects were overlapping, I had to first move the last template placed and work my way to the first one. Move everything and then put the non moving templates back.

Just being abloe to physically attach those to an invisible creature (that I could then move) would be a great start.

From that standpoint, I could create "aura mobs" that were always invisible - much like I create "invisible heads" for mobs that get two turns in initiative.

I really don't mind extra critters on my screen (since they are invisible anyway) - as long as it gets the job done.

6. Zug

Zug New Member

I hate to resurrect the dead, but did the attaching of auras ever go in? I'm playing around with d20pro and I'm not seeing a way to do a fear or damage aura (via template stapling or otherwise).

7. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

Zug, this feature has not been implemented but it is still on a radar for consideration.

8. Dan

Dan Member

I can add that preliminary fog of war and lighting code is showing some very, very promising results. Shouldn't be hard to get auras from that. It's still very much in development, but I'm drooling already from the internal demos given. :D

9. Levryl

Levryl New Member

I am not sure of the time frame on the mentioned Aura update. But a help might be to have templates with editable descriptions, so they could be labeled in the template window with something other that there size, also maybe selecting that template in the window could make that template rise to the top so that moving it could be accomplished easily.