1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Autosave

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Thurgian, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Please consider the inclusion of a (customizeable) autosave feature.

Yesterday, for reasons unknown to me, the my client (The Judge) exitied mid-battle on 4 different occasions. When I reloaded (each time) I found the maps to be unexplored and myriads of living mobs that should have been dead; and players at full health with all of their powers. While I corrected this by pressing F2 every few seconds, it was annoying.

Checkbox option I would like to see:

Time Based (where the Judge could enter a number of seconds).
    Initiative based (Each time initiative changes - which is what I ended up doing).
    Broadcast based
    # of actions based (Where a number of actions could be entered)

2. Dan

Dan Member

Hmm...

We'll look into it. Usually it saves automatically when you exit the software, but crashes do pose a problem.

3. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met Thurgian,

The Judge crashing mid battle is not cool at all. I went ahead and added a single autosave mechanism that triggers on every initiative change. In v2.1.922 the Judge now has the option to turn this on.

As for the root cause of the crash, are you running with a large number of hi resolution graphics? I wonder if you're running out of memory. From the Options window click Update Memory. If the amount allocated eclipses the limit the JVM could have problems.

If more memory is required, please try running the d20Pro.bat file and bumping up your heap memory to 1024.

4. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Yes, I typically have large maps and lots of creatures. Normally, this isn't an issue.

The crash occured when I had multiple (albeit smaller) maps open (convenient because the players were in a location that had them changes maps regularly).

Ultimately closing all, but one, map - eliminated the problem - leading me to believe that memory is indeed the culprit.

For the record, I start d20pro with the bat file; which I have modified to provide 1536 of memory (The smallest amount that would allow my 6000 combatant map load).

The system has 4G of ram; and is running Windows 7 (64).

For the record, my Epic battle loaded an played out fine; but the smaller battles leading to it (multiple maps) caused the client crash issue.

Unfortunately, like a dumba$$, I deleted the crash files without thinking (which are no longer in my recycle bin either)

Thank You, for the save on initiative option - As all of my crashes happened during combat, this is likely all that is needed.