1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Better Library

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by kelendros, Sep 3, 2011.

1. kelendros

kelendros New Member

I would like to suggest a file tree structure for the library, I love that everything is searchable but it would be nice to be able to keep some data such as players separate from everything else.

What I would really like to see is a way to search by Challenge Rating, and types such as characters, Npc's, monsters and what not...as well being able to select a range of Challenge ratings such as 1 to 4 so I can rapidly pull creatures out when I need them, a window that adds up the xp the encounter is worth and possibly a way to generate random treasure would be very useful as well, especially if it updates the players character sheet (this option is in the journal portion of Herolabs so it would be awesome if it utilized some cross connectivity).

I have used Combat Manager from Kyle Olsen for awhile now and I love the way I can search for my creatures and pull them into the game on the fly, Mainly because I run by the seat of my pants for many encounters...

http://www.combatmanager.com/ development team if you could check this out and look at some of the usability that this free program offers I think you will see quite a few things that you could use in d20pro...Kyle Olsen is very responsive and may possibly be able to help you out if you have any questions.

2. Dragonmaster13

You can do some of that already. In the second box on the character sheet where it says Module I add the following. For the players add PC Party; NPCs get NPC; familiars, henchmen, hirelings etc. get Minion; Monsters get Bestiary 1 (or whatever book they are from)/CR 8 (or whatever). So when you search you are search by name, book, PC Party, CR, etc.

3. kelendros

kelendros New Member

I use it the same way but it can be much more easily done, being able to search multiple factors at once would be great...folders let me have control over some of my organization.

4. Kizan

Kizan New Member

You can search, but that wasn't the feature he requested. He requested a tree structure to organize objects into. I fully agree that this would be an awesome feature. It could do away with the need for multiple catecories at the top of the dialog and allow for people to organize objects in the way that makes sense to them.

I could put all of the objects for one adventure in the same folder and NOT have to search for them or try to come up with labels that would work for multiple occasions.

I very much agree with the tree idea. Other VTT products I've used have implemented this idea and it works VERY well.

Kizan

5. kelendros

kelendros New Member

As well I would like to be able to search more than one criteria at a time...like cr 1 to 4 and maybe only creatures from a desert...the more tag's I can place the more relevant the search

6. ChrisRevocateur

Actually, instead of the tree structure, I like the idea of tags. There could be generic tags for terrain/climate/environment, type, CR/Level (maybe different ones, since they're different number in Pathfinder, and maybe even Class level and Character level tags, and maybe a base CR and total CR tag too (Like an Ogre Barbarian 4 could show up in CR 4 for it's base ogre CR, and CR 7 to include class levels)), book/module of origin, race, class, alignment, size, and whether they're a PC/Named NPC/Generic NPC/Monster/Familiar/Animal Companion/Cohort/Follower. Of course, along with auto-tags for the things that d20Pro could detect on it's own (type, level, race, class, size, and with the coming update, alignment), and fields for putting in the other generic tags, you could have a field for custom tags.

Then, when I go to search, instead of only being able to search only one tag (as the "Bestiary/CR 8" method limits you to due to seaching exact strings of text), I could put in "Aberration, Underground, CR 8, Wizard 4" and it would come up with any aberrations that live underground, and have either a base CR of 5 or 8, with 4 levels of Wizard (or the 4 could be removed and just look for aberrations with any wizard levels).