1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

BETTER WAY TO OPEN/IMPORT MAPS.

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by danielpryor, Nov 23, 2011.

1. danielpryor

danielpryor New Member

All my maps are in .png format. I find it frustrating and confusing trying to import/open non-.bmp files. Can you guys give .png or at least make the map import abilities easier?

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

PNG and JPG map images are accepted in d20Pro.

PNG makes typically much larger files, however, this file type supports transparency.

In regards to your "map import abilities easier" what do you mean exactly? What steps are you using to create maps from a file? What issues are you experiencing that you wish to be improved?

3. cyderak

cyderak Member

For instance: In Battlegrounds VTT there is no import needed. All you do is place your maps JPG or PNG into a particular directory and it is instantly available to use.

What is the reasoning for having a D20pro file-type?

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

While you can place images into a specified folder which will be available to add the image file in an already created map, the only thing would be is that you wouldn't be able to setup an offset for the image's grid, or setup the pixels per square. Since d20Pro uses the create map from file feature to assign the grid on the image which then changes the image and saves it with the offset.

I guess to better answer your question, I have a question for you: how do you make a map from an image?

5. cyderak

cyderak Member

Battlegrounds loads one map at a time.......Not the whole library.

So when you load the map, the grid can be placed over the top along with items and objects.

Not sure about the grid offset.......Its been about a year since I used Battleground because I have been using D20Pro the last year.

It'd be nice when you load a Map file on the fly with D20Pro that you could see all your maps in thumbnail format so you could pick the map that fits your needs for that specific encounter.

6. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Usually with VTT's that have you load a map first then adjust the grid size...
    you can either select the square size with the mouse click-drag and/or adjust the pixels size by entering in a number
    then
    either mouse-drag the grid or using the grid offset left/right or up/down button or enter a number for the offset.

d20Pro has a different approach to creating the grid on a map, where you select the grid size then drag the map to line it up. Once you have it lined up and save it, it stores it to your map library. Could it be better - yes. Could it offer a transform re-size original image to better fit the grid - yes (this would be a great feature). Could it be used to apply an overlay image as an effect (like rain, or clouds) - yes (also another cool feature). Overall, It's just a different style.

Regarding the thumbnails of the map, I think this was brought up before, and I totally agree.

7. danielpryor

danielpryor New Member

Yeah I'm just getting frustrated with this software. It has such great potential but hte user interface is absolutely horrible and there are certain restrictions and limitations that are driving me crazy. I hope to see some drastic changes soon or I'm switching to another piece of software. *sigh*

1) I don't like the way you adjust the grid on the map. It would make much more sense to load the map full screen. Then once it is on the screen you simply expand a single box over the map to make a grid. It then shows you the whole grid and asks you if it is correct. If you say no then it lets you either do it over again or adjust it a pixel, etc. until it looks right. Other VTT do this very simply and easily, D20 pro does not.

2) Other VTT have 3d dice that roll around around the screen, D20 pro does not. This program isn't very "pro" is it? lol!

3) You can't rotate images or maps on the screen? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

4) There's no need for a proprietary D20pro map file. There should only be an "overlay" file that is simply associated with the map then laid on top of it.

5) The program doesn't allow for multiple monitor support, fine, BUT when you do something like discard a map or try to change the time of day, the pop-up window appears in the wrong freaking monitor! WTF! It either works and stays on one monitor or it doesn't.

6) You should be able to adjust the font and font sizes of EVERY window. Also, the pop-up windows should be MOVEABLE! Give me a break!

7) I run a game that is not VTT/remote. Its with four players sitting around a 40"LCD monitor, laying flat, with real miniatures placed on it, not VTT tokens. The only features i use are dice rolling and the templates for spell effects, etc. Everything else, combat, init, etc. are ran through an IPAD app called DMTools. That being said I need things like one master screen where FOW will display properly on the Judges screen without seeing all the other details. It would be nice to have an option to change the transparency on the judges screen for FOW like say 80-90% etc. And to choose the color as well.

8) Lastly, it would be AWESOME to have the D20 pro icons at the top menu to be moveable to say the bottom of the screen maybe. Maybe even show buttons you want and hide those you don't use? Maybe a full-screen toggle for judges, etc? Its design flaws like these that are frustrating and should be simple to change in the program.

If those above things were changed, sure I would totaly support this program, br more than happy to pay as much as $50 for it too. But the program unfortuneately falls short for me so I'm Having to go back to using GIMP2 (which is great for maps but sucks for using spell AOE templates, etc.)

Any feedback or suggestions for other programs, etc. would be great, or maybe you can tell me that these problems will be addressed with the software at a later date? Thanks.

8. ogexam

ogexam Member

To answer the question on why are there d20pro map files.

A few reasons.

It does not contain the image, the image is stored in the res folder. The d20Pro map file contains a link to the image.
    A map file contains all the creatures, effects, templates, etc. of a map so it can store the current state of a map.
    Image files and map files are encryptable now. The reason for this has to deal with the marketplace. Large publishers requested that when a person buys a product that it be secured in some way so they cannot just willy nilly send it to all their friends. d20Pro encrypts the map when you download it form the marketplace so that it only works with that account.

Some publishers do not want there image files visible from the OS and only from inside the program and only when they person is verified to be able to open the content.

Hope that clarifies some of the questions on the map files.

9. ChrisRevocateur

Wow, really? That means I'm definitely not gonna be buying as much Marketplace stuff as I thought I would.

10. danielpryor

danielpryor New Member

No it does not, you weren't understanding my statement. I don't care if there are files that it links too, BUT I have a LAERGE, LARGE file selection of maps and the program makes a copy of all the maps I import so now I'm doubling up on file space on my hard drive to facilitate the program. This is totally unecessary and sloppy programming. It shouldn't have to make acopy of the map, simply a link to the original file, etc. This program has a long way to go unfortuneatly. Good luck with it though.

11. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

There are pro's/con's for storing a copy of the image for a map and simply linking to the original image. And, instead of listing and assigning a value for each pro and con for each approach, I'll simply state that storing a copy for d20Pro to use won at the time of development. Hard drive space is cheap, and having multiple copies of images is the result. This may not be the perfect solution for everyone, but it does get the job done. This isn't to say that in the future this will remain constant, since anything may change in the course of time.

That said, and to go back to the original intent of the post... Yes, I agree there should be an easier way to create maps, edit the grid, and rotate images. And, I'm sure these items are already on the list of improvements to make.

The entire purpose for this forum and the feature request board is to help the developers improve the software. Even if the current version of the software doesn't meet your current requirements for a Virtual Table Top, you can still frequent this forum and give your advise and suggestions to improve upon the foundation.

So, here's my challenge to you:
    Create a list of the best features you've found in all the VTT's you have tried out, and tell us how you would improve upon them to make it even better. This would be what you would want to see in your ideal VTT.

12. cyderak

cyderak Member

I think thats a challenge best proposed in a separate thread so the whole community could chime in.

13. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member