1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Big list of feature requests!

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by djc664, Sep 1, 2010.

1. djc664

djc664 Member

After using the software to run a local game between a laptop (GM) and a computer w/ projector onto the table, I have a small laundry list of requests I'd like to make to improve the program. These improvements are with both running games online as originally intended as well as with the table projector in mind and represent the biggest points my group ran into during our testing.

1. Full screen mode: Edge to Edge, with the d20 logo/icon menu on top left would be fantastic.

2. Granular Map zoom/screen size auto-detection: The ability to smoothly detect or, at least, let me fine tune the zoom of the map on the screen so that I can set it to display at full size 1:1.

Situation: Since I use painted miniatures for my players and big baddies, I need the display to be 1" on the table as well. My projector is currently displaying 37-1/4" wide by 23-1/4" tall on my table (~42" diagonal screen; runs a resolution of 1440x900 [16]). I set my map images to 100dpi to match the max import resolution, and the grid to 100 when creating new maps for d20 pro.

Each of the maps are exactly on the square... no fraction measurements. Out of the zoom clicks that gets closest to 1", it ends up being just a hair over 1" (around 1-1/16" per square) and looses a few inches on both dimensions. As a result, I can only display a map at around 35" x 21" as full screen, rather than 37x23.

As a result, the image is not as sharp as it could be, since what is shown on the screen is not 1:1 to the pixels in the graphic file. Some blurring and jagged images are a result, which make some things look really crappy. Especially so if the map already has single-pixel-wide gridlines on the image.

To compare, Maptools does these first two out of the box very smoothly. I used the same dpi for input, set the grid size for the dpi, and it displays the map 1:1 size on the screen without adjustment. Full 37-1/4" x 23-1/4" worth of scaled map showed up edge to edge right away.

3. Map Markers not limited to grid crosses: I'd like to have a check box on the map markers that I can click and unchain some of them from the grid. Having them click to the grid is great for some applications, but I could have used three or four markers un-gridded for every one I used gridded.

4.Rotatable windows: Specifically the Handouts and Combat windows, but being able to turn any of the control windows in 90-degree increments would be super helpful.

5. Type-in number value boxes: Specifically the value boxes for "Cursor Size" with the FOW controls, or in "Create a Map from Image" when setting the grid. It would be smoother to be able to also type the value into Pixels/square, for instance, instead of using the in-exact slider and fine-tuning with two arrows that have to be no more than 2-3 pixels square… over… and over… ;)

6. Additional Configurations in the Option Menu: I'd like to select whether certain information is broadcast to the player screens. All of these would be "yes/no" check boxes and only effect them showing up for players, not the GM.

6a. Showing damage on icons: I love it on the GM screen as it gives me a heads up how everyone is doing, so that I might adjust my plans appropriately. I hate it on my player screen because everyone immediately meta-games the information. When checked, the icons are empty until the creature dies (the skull is fun. :) )

6b. Showing NPC names to players: When checked, it either leaves the names blank or replaces them with something like "UNKNOWN" for the player displays.

6c. Showing NPC icons to players: When checked, NPC Icons are set to the default silhouette for the player displays.

7. Name Map Template Elements on screen: when I lay down a map element, it defaults to the name of the shape. For instance, I'd like to be able to name that grey 20' burst "Ice Storm", which will also come up as a tool tip on the pointer when you hover over the effect area.

7a.While we're on the subject of Map Templates, it would be keen to be able to fill the space with an image fill at the same opacity the solid color is currently applied. Using animated gifs that way could make for a good way to make those animated spell effects work out...

8. Dynamic Fog of War / Light Sources - This has clearly been a leader in requests and much talked about, and I won't belabor those points. I think Battlegrounds and Maptools are the ones to emulate in this. I'd definitely need to be able to control whether to use it or not - please do not force it to be always on.

This has to be a daunting programming task, especially from a resource-use view in Java. I really am impressed with how smoothly the engine has run for me so far (big kudos on that, btw. That's a very impressive feat using Java!), so I'm not super excited about having this at the great cost of resources. Perhaps a compromise where it sticks to the grid squares like the current FOW, rather than ray tracing each individual line in a perfect circle around the tokens?

Obviously the perfect circle and non-grid locked would be preferred in the end, but the blocky style might be a nice compromise to bridge the gap between the full-featured dynamic FOW / lighting .

--
    Thanks for taking the time to read all this! :)

2. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Hi again!!

Nice list, btw.

Some of these have been discussed at length, and been placed into the "queue" as it were.

One of my particular favorites is the information showed to the player ...

At any rate, there is a post (in this forum) for people to list/prioritize 3 features they would like added / changed. You might want to also add your input to that thread.