1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Can players change their characters they control?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Coopernicus, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Coopernicus

Coopernicus Member

About to start a Way of the Wicked campaign in D20pro...

The characters start with nothing, but pick up things as they go along. I know I as the Judge, can make changes to the "main files" of the characters such as changing AC, attacks etc. but what about the players?

I just think that if I have to change EVERY aspect of each character as the game progresses then D20pro will end up SLOWING my game down more than speeding it up. Please let me know!

Cheers!

2. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

Simple answer: No.

The Judge is the only one who can (currently) alter a PC's sheet.

Many have requested that this be an option though. I am one who would like to see this as well. It would make my life easier to allow certain changes to be made by the player on their sheet. It would really be no different than RL play with a paper sheet. It should even be a toggled permission per player, in case you have a newb that may mess up the sheet or a sphincter that cheats.

As of now, there is no option for this. Maybe in D20PRO 3.4?

We shall see.

3. Coopernicus

Coopernicus Member

Ugh... Although I love d20Pro these 'small things' can really make a difference in your game. I hope they allow players to modify character sheets (and other such things) soon or I'll have to start looking somewhere else to host my game. Damn

4. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

Interestingly, the option to pick things up on the fly hasn't come up in these forums until recently. In most campaigns, it's a really a rare thing that can be roleplayed through.

In your case, you can either edit on the fly, go old school and just roll dice and do the math yourselves or you can go crazy and make a DM NPC with every item that might be found pre-built by you and you roll those for the players as needed.

An example of doing the latter is this: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1746

For the rare occasion, I personally would go old school and know that combat is going to take longer to resolve. They roll d20, I determine whether it hits, they roll damage dice, I apply the damage to creature manually. As a result of the longer combat, I'd probably make mine a stealth-focused game and discourage combat but I don't know what your campaign is about.

For your situation, I would just add a few items to each character's inventory. Light object, 1d4. Medium object, 1d6. Heavy object, 1d8. And then roleplay it from there. That gives you the combat rolls and base damage and allows the players to make their rolls. You can increase/decrease damage manually from the GM side as you wish.

5. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

actually, I was thinking you could use a public creature with all of the drop weapons programmed in. then they could pick up the weapons to put them in inventory, and then just use the public creature for attacks until you are able to program them in to the characters.

6. Coopernicus

Coopernicus Member

Good idea.. Anybody do that already?