1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Cannot Import Creatures into the Content Library

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by Michael Clark, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Michael Clark

Michael Clark New Member

I have just installed the Windows 62 bit version of 3.7.2 and I am running on a Windows 7 PC.

I have everything that I imported into the old Library before the new download. Now, however, when I open the Content Library and go to the Creature Library tab, I click on "Import" and nothing happens. It used to bring up a screen that would allow me to select Herolab or the source of my import, but that screen no longer appears.

I have read some posts and tried re-installing it, but that did not fix it. Is there something that I am doing incorrectly or something that I have not turned on properly?

I read another recent post where the staff basically said that Herolab wants d20Pro to stop supporting it so they can change their output mode or something to that effect. That will seriously cause me to reconsider d20Pro as I NEED it to be able to important from Herolab somehow even if it is different than the current system.

Please help me on my issue and ask me questions if I did not provide enough information. Any follow up to the second concern is great, but solving my issue is my first priority.

Thank you!

2. Michael Clark

Michael Clark New Member

Any help at all or would this be a thing I for which I would need to contact support?

Thank you!

3. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Yes indeed it should be opening a dialog prompt on hitting the Import button.

upload_2018-1-8_13-50-22.png

Please send us the d20PRO.log file located in the installation folder.

4. Michael Clark

Michael Clark New Member

Just to be clear as I am not very good at all things computers, I have gone to Program Files -> MesaMundi -> D20Pro and there are a few files named d20Pro.log in there. There is a d20Pro.log.1 dated 01/07/2018 which looks like when I last downloaded d20Pro, but there is also a d20Pro.log.2 and a d20Pro.log.4 with previous dates back in November and December of 2017.

I am trying to upload the d20Pro.log.1 file, but it is giving me a file extension error. I will try and take the 1 off and see if that still works.

If this is not the correct file, please let me know.

Thank you for you assistance with this.

Attached Files:

5. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

well without even looking at the log I can guess some issues right off the bat.

1. I'd highly suggest installing off the root C:\\ rather than inside '\Program Files\'. ..Windows is obnoxious about anything installed there, it'll just give you less headaches.

2. by virtue that you have multiple log files, would indicate that when you installed the last (and possibly more) version of the software and you did not wipe the prior version.. This can cause all kinds of problems since there is often remnants of the old application within that directory.

So, I would

A) back up your /judge/campaigns/ folder to a safe location.
    B) Delete everything in the installation folder /D20PRO/ (if you choose to not install in the root C:\\)
    C) Reinstall D20PRO
    D) Copy over the campaigns folder back into /judge/campaigns/

Then see if you're still having an issue.

#5 Wesley Gorby, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  6. Michael Clark

Michael Clark New Member

Okay, I will do that. To keep my campaign information (maps, monsters, etc.) I only need to backup my "judge" file and not "player" or anything else, correct?

I will do so and let you know if your suggestions worked.

Thank you!

7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

if you run games, you'll want to back up the /Judge/Campaigns/ folder yes. (very important)

if you play in games, it's not required to back up the /player/ folder as it will auto recreate all that upon connecting to your GMs game.

8. Michael Clark

Michael Clark New Member

I copied my judge file over to a safe place. Then I uninstalled d20Pro. Then I reinstalled it directly onto the C drive instead of inside Program Files. Then I copied the campaign contents over to the new judge file.

When I opened it up, it asks me to "Import Legacy Content" and when I click OK it grays out and seems to not do anything. Can I close that out?

It appears to be working now, however, the choice HeroLab Native now does not recognize .hld20pro, but it does recognize .por (HeroLab) files. Does that mean that we no longer save to the d20Pro output and just save them as normal .por files to import into d20Pro?

9. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

correct, there is no longer any need for .hld20pro formats and .por is directly supported.

10. Dragius

Dragius New Member

So I am also having this issue. I have figured out its something within the Judge file that is causing the import button to become inactive I just dont know what at this time. I have done the following

1. Installed a fresh copy of D20pro (on C drive), copied over my judge folder and attempted to import. - Issue persists
    2. Installed a fresh copy of D20pro (on C drive), copied over my judge folder and created new campaign - Issue persists
    3. Installed a fresh copy of D20pro (on C drive), created new campaign as a new user - Issue resolved.

I will try and narrow down the problem folder and see if I can figure out.

11. Michael Clark

Michael Clark New Member

Mine did not work the first time I did it, because I saved the entire "judge" file over to the new download. When I did it the second time, I only saved the "campaign" file within the "judge" file and it worked.

I could be wrong, but I think it has something to do with the old "addon" file.

Try and just copy and paste the "campaign" file and see if it works AND you have your previous work stored in there.

12. Dragius

Dragius New Member

I figured out that the under judge -> addon -> creature there are 3 different files that gets installed on a fresh install. Comparing that to my old install/judge backup I noticed that there are 7 files which are as followed.

Backup/Old install
    d20ProPlugin_FourE
    d20ProPlugin_HeroLab
    d20ProPlugin_PCGen
    FourE
    HeroLab
    HeroLabNative
    PCGen

New Install
    d20ProPlugin_FourE
    d20ProPlugin_PCGen
    HeroLabNative

By only using the fresh 3 installed files and the rest of my judge backup it resolved the issue.

13. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

right, the /judge/ folder contains other things other than the /campaigns/ folder. the list of things in there changes from time to time and having stale items/files in there can cause all kinds of issues.

In the last year, we have been informing and trying to get people to backup their /campaigns/ folder, uninstall D20PRO and reinstall upon getting a new version of D20PRO.