1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Can't Import PCGen Charcters?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by Kishi Bojin, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Kishi Bojin

Kishi Bojin New Member

So I just finished creating a character in PCGen and exported it, no problem. However when I try to import it into d20 I get all sorts of error messages, the first part being that it needs to be recompiled with the latest API, the rest of the message changes. The first time it told me that the XML file wasn't a PCGen file, the second time that there was an unexpected space, and this time that there was an unexpected error caused by an empty string. I went through the XML file but didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue? I do have the most recent version of java installed as well, in case that might cause any issues.

Attached are the screenshot and XML file.

Updated: Finally got the second error message to appear so I have attached that screenshot as well.

Attached Files:

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

This has always been pretty buggy (tho it isn't the d20 guys fault really) .. they have no control over PCgen or HL, so when either of these apps makes any change to how character data is handled (rename something or change somethings format) it breaks the Import feature of d20pro..

As GM, I tell my players "if you wanna use either app for your character, it's fine with me.. however, we will still manage your characters token in d20pro manually by hand rather trying to use exported/imported records... it's just too annoying..."

sometimes the "old way" is still the best and most reliable method...

just my 2 coppers, tho ...

3. LegacyKing

LegacyKing New Member

Hi folks,

Andrew from PCGen here. We're working with Matt to get this issue resolved. I'd like to thank Matt for bringing this issue to our attention.

I've patched the export file which is available in pcgen 6.4.1RC2. Please give this a try and see if your issues are resolved.

Cheers,
    Andrew

4. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Thanks LegacyKing AKA Andrew at PCGen!

5. nylanfs

nylanfs New Member

So has this been resolved? Everyone importing okay?

6. Earl Halfhand

Earl Halfhand New Member

Still not importing PCGen 6.04.01 into D20 3.4.2(1) on Mac OS 10.8.5. Error message as per OP.

7. Kishi Bojin

Kishi Bojin New Member

I downloaded d20 3.4.3 and it was working correctly with both PCGen 60401 and PCGen 60400. Today though it suddenly stopped importing the files and gave the error message:
    "This plugin is invalid. Please recompile it using the latest API and try again.
    Caused by: No Walking Speed found."

I haven't changed anything since last night, which was the last time it worked correctly so I'm not sure why it's giving me that error message out of the blue.
    ===========================
    UPDATE: I just uninstalled and re-installed d20 3.4.3 and the importer has started working again. 3 out of 4 times it will import with no issues, then it will suddenly pop up that error message again. So far I haven't seen anything in common with the creatures being imported (Some are monsters that were auto generated by PCGen, others were creatures that I manually created in PCGen, and one was a flying creature) but I will keep my eye out for anything that they may have in relation that could be causing the problem.

8. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

If you are continuing to have issues, please upload a ZIP file of the exported PCGen character, then PM nylanfs so we can figure out how to solve the export or import issue.

9. Kishi Bojin

Kishi Bojin New Member

Sure thing, I'll try to get the files uploaded sometime this afternoon.

10. Aralkar

Aralkar New Member

This plugin is invalid. PLease recompile it using the latest API and try again.

Caused by: Unexpected expeption
    caused by: java.lang.Nullpointer Expeption

Attached Files: