1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Can't seem to connect.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by V. Reish, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. V. Reish

V. Reish New Member

A friend and I recently attempted to test d20pro, but we were unable to connect regardless of who was hosting the game. We know we've got the right IP addresses thanks to www.canyouseeme.com, so we assume it must be something to do with the port. Neither of us are particularly computer savvy, so we're not really sure what to do next. Thanks for your help.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Niverian

Niverian New Member

I hope it's not a problem to piggyback on another thread, but I am having connection troubles, too.

I'm still learning the program, myself. I haven't tried to connect with anyone outside of my house, yet. Instead, I've been using two computers, one with the the guest license and the other with my paid-for license.

Last night, I was able to connect via my private IP address, but only after I had disabled my firewall.

System information is as follows (try not to laugh ;) ):

Computers:
    • Main system: IBM ThinkPad TabletPC running Windows XP
    • "Player" System: Dell Laptop running Windows Vista

AV Software:
    Both laptops have Trend Micro's Titanium Internet Security Software package installed.

My ISP is AT&T U-verse. The ThinkPad is connected via lan cable to the router, while the Dell is connected via Wi-Fi.

This seems to be a problem with firewall setup, since I can connect to the Private IP address when I disable the firewall. But I've also made an exception for the d20Pro program, and that doesn't seem to help.

Are there any known issues with Trend Micro security software that might be causing this? Is there another setting, I'm missing? I'm not completely computer illiterate, but I don't know much about networking at this level.

Thanks!

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Try these following steps.

1) Ensure your router is configured correctly to forward port 10101 to your computer running d20Pro. For details on how to use port forwarding feature on your specific router visit: http://portforward.com/ Then select your router make and model from the list on the website, skip the advertisement, then click on "Default Guide" and follow along. (you must know your Local IP - you can get this from the d20Pro Options window, selecting Judge, then click on "What is my IP Address" )
    2) Allow d20Pro to communicate through Windows Firewall by Opening Windows Firewall. Click the Start button, click Control Panel, click Security, then click Windows Firewall. In the left pane, click Allow a program through Windows Firewall (If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. Then select the check box next to d20Pro, and click OK. If d20Pro is not in the list, click Allow another program... then select d20Pro from the list and ensure both private an public settings are set, then click OK. (link)
    3) Open a port in Windows Firewall. Click the Start button, click Control Panel, click Secuirty, then click Windows Firewall. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. Click Add port. In the Name box, type "port 10101". In the Port Number box, type "10101" Click TCP. Click Change Scope and set to both public and private. Click OK and click OK. Alternatively this can be done in Advanced Settings clicking Inbound Rules, then right-click New Rule, click Port, click Next, click TCP, enter the specific local ports as "10101", click Next, then Allow the Connection, click Next, select Domain Private and Public, click Next, Name the rule "port 10101", click Finish. (link)
    4) Restart your modem, your router, and your computer.

If you still are unable to connect let us know.

5. Niverian

Niverian New Member

I think I got it working! I had to add an exception to my anti-virus software, too. I'll need to try it with someone outside of my home network to be sure, but I think I'm almost there!

6. tellusis

tellusis New Member

Hi there, hope it's not too late to post for help here. so i have forwarded the 10101 port i've added the program on windows firewall as well as the port. still unable to determine the port however...

7. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

I noticed you've started your own thread for this issue which is the preferred way to do things. No harm no foul though tellusis. I'm going to lock this thread though to avoid confusion and keep the replies in the new thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.