1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Changing attributes via ability effect removes HPs

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by Stonesnake, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Stonesnake

Stonesnake Member

I have a barbarian and I set his Rage ability to the following (he has the alternate rage ability FYI).

STR +4; DEX +4; AC (armor) +2; Ref +2; Will +2; 1 round

The issue is that whenever the ability ends his initial stats change for the worse. A few HP will be removed from his character after the effect ends. For example, if he was at 30/30 before the effect once it ends his HP are now 28/28. It's pretty simple to replicate and I've tried every combination to make the Rage work without removing HPs.

I can provide more information if you wish, thanks.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Stonesnake,

Can you export your creature from the creature library, ZIP it, then upload it. I'll test it out to see what's going on. Also, please provide the d20Pro version you are using.

Thanks

3. Stonesnake

Stonesnake Member

This error was affecting version 3.3.4 and I just tested it in 3.4.5 (64-bit, latest build from yesterday) and it was doing it there too.

There is a Rage ability in the character. What we normally do is during combat I apply the effect once per round (as he decides to keep it going). That is how I noticed it, as every round he would have less and less HPs.

I actually copied the same ability parameters to other characters/monsters and the same effect was happening. Hopefully that helps!

Attached Files:

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Thank you for this. that is indeed strange behavior and I was able to duplicate it, with each apply/wears off it subtracts 2HP, as we are not modifying HP in the positive direction, so why would it go negative after effect wears. Currently investigating.

5. Stonesnake

Stonesnake Member

Great, this has actually been a problem for years, but with the new version I thought I would finally address it and see if it can be added to the newest build.

I actually found a few other things (I'm a software developer too) so I'll send them along with supporting documentation so that you can replicate them.

6. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I made a new ability and tested it, it does not remove HP after the ability wears from Active Effects

Try this:
    +4 STR morale (+2 Dam), +4 DEX morale (+2 Reflex), +2 Will morale, +2 AC

Looking at the saved effect/ability... It looks like your ability included.
    (process is saving ability to list, list available in d20Pro/user/effectsd20Pro.GM.dat - list is local only, so each player will have their own)
    Code:
    <bonusHP class="com.mindgene.d20.common.game.effect.EffectScoreModifier">
                  <modifier class="int">2</modifier>
    Still unclear on how it got there or why it didn't display when editing the effect, in the meantime, feel free to download and use this creature with the modified ability.

Attached Files: