1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Changing in between maps

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by templar12, Feb 1, 2010.

1. templar12

templar12 Member

I find that changing gamemaps can be an unusually long process. It takes several minutes for all players to see the new game map. Often we have found that our game gets stuck in their "hourglass" mode when I load a new map. When this happens, I just have them log out and then log back in...and suddenly they are "synched." What is the best way to switch maps w/ minimal drag time? Send the characters into limbo, close the old, open the new and drop in the characters and Broadcast? Or, highlight all the characters, elect Move to Map, select new map, then drop them on to it and Broadcast? Any other way?

2. Dan

Dan Member

It depends on how much memory your players have to devote to d20pro and if you need all the maps open at once. It also depends on your connection speed.

Basically, d20pro sends out the map when you broadcast, so initial broadcasts can be slow because you are sending a copy of the file to each person (upload). To speed this up, either use smaller maps or "preload" the map by broadcasting before you need it. If you pre-broadcast, just make sure you cover the whole map with the Fog of War and you should be safe.

Another thing that slows down your players is if you have a lot of large maps open at the same time. If your players have more than 1 GB of RAM on their machines, you might want to increase the RAM allotment that d20pro uses. See this section in our support wiki (with Youtube vid) to set this up. Allocating 1024 MB of ram to d20pro should fix most performance issues, but you might still have a slow initial load (see above).

3. templar12

templar12 Member

Ah! That may be some good gouge. I have increased my RAM. When you mention pre-broadcast, do you mean opening the map up before gameplay and having it sit in the "limbo?"

4. Dan

Dan Member

Kind of. I mean loading it at the start of play and hitting the broadcast button (F5). If you have the chat open, you will see the hourglasses as it streams over. Have the players log in about 5 minutes early and send it to them then.

Or you could broadcast the maps ahead of time whenever you take smoke or bio breaks.