1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Changing the game log text font in 3.0?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by firebringer, Nov 6, 2011.

1. firebringer

firebringer Member

Ok gang....I'm all for more colorful text, but in the end, it needs to be editable by the user. The default size is waaaay too large IMO. Hopefully font size is set in a .txt file we can edit ourselves so this won't require a code change.

Thanks,

Firebringer

2. Kizan

Kizan New Member

I agree completely with this. The default font is WAAAYYY to big.

Kizan

3. LordValerius

LordValerius New Member

Yes, unfortunately, this is not good. Not sure about everyone else, but I keep my Game Log window fairly small on the screen to be able to have more real estate and the font is distracting to say the least. My group is still missing the DFoW and Vision/Light features of Map tools and getting antsier by the session. I know the team is getting it together and want it to be good...I can live with that...Just sucks waiting for it to hit.

Val

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I know the development team is working on a user friendly interface that has a color picker for each game log option and the ability to change the size of the text for the game log. As to when this will be added, I'm hoping it's sooner rather than later. d20Pro is moving in the direction to become more and more user customizable.

5. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I haven't downloaded v3.0 yet. Would someone mind posting an image showing this gargantuan font size that everyone's complaining about? I'm curious just how it looks before I upgrade. (Upgrading the whole group is not a fun experience, let me tell you.)

6. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

With an allocated screen resolution of 3157x1080.. it looks like this (image reduced to fit page):
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. RoryN

RoryN New Member

I think it's kind of a subjective thing. I've only played one session under 3.0, but it didn't take long to get used to the font size really. Speaking for myself, I'm fine with it, but having an adjustment option availble would be good as well.

8. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Thanks for doing that, Curtis! The font does seem pretty big. It sticks out because it's like twice as big as anything else in the program. I don't think it would really bother me that much, though.

9. Kizan

Kizan New Member

The ONLY reason I complain is that ALL child windows MUST be inside the parent d20Pro window. If I could pull the child windows off to another monitor I wouldn't care nearly as much. I might even like the enlarged font (although it really should be something that is user configurable). This topic is only an issue because screen real estate is at such a premium.

Kizan

10. LordValerius

LordValerius New Member

That would be awesome, if child windows could be dragged to other monitors.

Val

11. SpoiltVChild

SpoiltVChild New Member

So today I decompiled d20Pro and came up with a fix. The basic contours are:

1. Find and unzip d20Pro.jar.
    2. Open com/mindgene/d20/laf.xml.
    3. On lines 902 and 907, change "size=18" to "size=12" (or whatever other size you want).
    4. From the root of your unzipped d20Pro.jar (i.e., the folder containing bootstrap/, com/, etc.), run this command:

Code:
    jar uf /path/to/d20Pro.jar com/mindgene/d20/laf.xml
    And that's it. If you're using OS X or Linux, I've written a script to do this for you, which you can download here: http://www.mediafire.com/?birrdavgbfo3569. The download contains a README with instructions on running and undoing the script. If you're on Windows, I'll probably upload a .BAT file in the next few days if no one beats me to it.

Naturally I take no responsibility if anything horrible happens to you while attempting to follow these instructions.

12. SpoiltVChild

SpoiltVChild New Member

And if you're wondering, "Can I do all sorts of weird stuff to d20Pro in this manner?", the answer is yes, you can do all sorts of weird stuff to d20Pro in this manner.

13. ChrisRevocateur

It's really cool that you got that figured out, but I don't feel comfortable messing that deep in the program files, and I'm a Win XP user, so I can't use the script you wrote.

Still, thanks for figuring that out, I'm sure lots of people will find it useful.

14. Caraldur

Caraldur Member

I can't find the D20Pro.jar file. I looked in the install directory and its not there. I also did a search of the entire computer and can't find this file. Can you tell me exactly where the file is located?

-Car

15. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I found the d20pro.jar file (Contents/Resources/Java/d20pro.jar) but after unzipping it, I can't find the laf.xml file in the location you specified.

16. SpoiltVChild

SpoiltVChild New Member

If you're on Windows it may be called "d20Pro.dat", and it should be in \Program Files\Mindgene\d20Pro\, if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure what would explain that. Were you able to find the specified folder (com/mindgene/d20)?

17. Caraldur

Caraldur Member

Thanks, I was able to edit the dat file and change the font size.

-Car

18. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Yes, but the laf.xml file wasn't in that folder. There were five other folders and a bunch of .class files.

19. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Actually, you can disregard my idiocy. I just realized I was looking in my old v2.3 copy of d20pro instead of v3.0. Duh!

20. SpoiltVChild

SpoiltVChild New Member

Excellent, glad you both got sorted out.

To anyone waiting on a Windows script, I'll try to get to it today.