1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Character generator question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlackAdam1518, Mar 9, 2013.

1. BlackAdam1518

BlackAdam1518 New Member

I honestly just stumbled upon this here and i'm really interested in knowing, if here there is available or will be available a program where you can create your character and that it can calculate the math for you (BAB, Saves skills points, ability modifiers, number of feats, spells, etc) to cut down on character creation time? I use to use E-tools but honestly I found it only useful for making mass simple characters as appose to very limiting to making intricate characters where you would need to sift through 8 books to be able to do half of what I made him to be able to do.

2. ChrisRevocateur

PCGen

Hero Lab

PCGen is free, open source even. The UI is a little arcane (not too bad though, compared to some programs I've used), and it's not always completely up to date with the newest rules options.

Hero Lab is a bit costly ($30 for a system license, and Pathfinder is another $10 per hardcover beyond the core rules). Really easy to use, all the rule options are included as quickly as possible, and is extremely well made and accurate to the rules. If you run into something wrong, they're pretty quick on bug fixes too. It's not just a character generator either, it's a full character manager (and even a combat manager for GM's). It's like a character sheet that calculates everything for you in real time.

Both have the capability to be exported to a format that can then be imported into d20Pro.

I have to say, as an anarchist, I tend to favor open source, free options, but even I use Hero Lab.

3. BlackAdam1518

BlackAdam1518 New Member

really? okay thank you i will definitely check both out. i don't mind paying for the software as long as its kept (i understand it may take a bit to do) upto date as best they can

4. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

Hero Lab is godly. And it's updated monthly with new material so it's always very close to up-to-date. It also exports to d20pro which allows you to use HL for all character, NPC and creature creation and d20pro for game running. The right tools for the right jobs.

5. Entola

Entola Member

If you have the money Hero Lab is worth it. PCGen will get the job done, but they have a steep learning curve and it takes longer for them to get out new resources when Paizo releases a new book. However, with Hero Labs you are paying for every book that comes out. So it's $30 plus each new book you want to add, so it adds up to big bucks pretty fast, but it is the better choice of the two.