1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Chat Function. . .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cerin77, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Cerin77

Cerin77 New Member

I'm currently using the chat system for all character roleplay actions while supplimenting voice chat for OOC talk, and long DM/Narrator rants. However i keep running into this problem, and wonder if there is a solution.

Player 1 feels like he's awesome and decides to emote. . . Player 1 kicks Player 2 in the head so hard he explodes into a million pieces and his family forgets his existence for all eternity.

Now this would obviously not be allowed by the GM, and although i keep seeing something saying "Your statement has been sent to the Judge to be reviewed" (or something to that effect) the chat simply goes straight into the window without any stopping it. Am i missing a way to monitor and regulate the emotes and actions that my players attempt to roleplay out so they don't stop the game with a giant arguement about whether or not it was possible to do what they just did?

I would like as a Judge to be able to fix the statement Player 1 made, so that it appeared in chat as "Player 1 attempts to kick Player 2 in the head with all his might." so that civil and controlled roleplaying can continue, without having to take stuff back that was already said. Any help would be great, as i am really new.

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

From a DMs standpoint if a player does say something like that in the software or in a table top game. At first I let it go and warn them "ok guys no goofing off or I will have to make it a live table." Then if you go live if a player says he kicks player 2 in the head, then roll an attack if he hits do damamge then click init and let them kill each other. While the are fighting remind them, that the campaign and game will end if you guys keep it up.

3. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

In my experience, it only takes a couple of these instances to clue in the clueless.

I make it quite clear to my players, that I reserve the right to use anything they say against them ...

Once, the Assassin was being mouthy and the Warrior indicated that he was going to "Back slap" him. I made him roll to hit, and he crit - almost killing the guy (this was when the players were new). Everyone present got the idea.

Another time a different Warrior did the same thing (The Assassin didn't deserve it, either). This warrior rolled a "1". I ruled that "since the Assassin is used to being abused by overbearing warriors, he successfully deflected the blow; and, in addition, the Warrior got a dagger through his hand for his reward". Said warrior had to fight with a -2 penalty (hit and damage) for the rest of the night. Unfortunately, this Warrior didn't catch on as quickly ...

A few days later, my group took a detour through the "Tomb of Horrors" (They need Vecna's Skull to complete the Temple of Elemental Evil). The Warrior keeps "running around" and then decides he will move his character through 3 spaces of "Void" into a room they previously cleared. Although the Warrior doesn't posess the ability to pass through walls, I allowed it - of course, I also allowed the "Soul Eaters" that guard the voids of ToH to find him. He plays nicely, now ...

Since we all play at the same table, we communicate as one would in PnP. However, if someone should use the emote system - I would resolve the issues as if the person had taken the action.

4. Cerin77

Cerin77 New Member

interesting. cool deal, so the good ol' fashioned approach it is. "Get in line, and stop wasting time boys, we got work to do!" Fair enough, i'm used to that.