1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Chat with only one player?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AkosPrime, Jun 28, 2012.

1. AkosPrime

AkosPrime Member

Is there a way when you have multiple players connected to a game to be able to only write/send/chat something with one of them? Basically I'm looking for the electronic equivalent of "DM passes secret note to Player X" tabletop experience. This is important for thieves/rogues among others.

2. AkosPrime

AkosPrime Member

Nevermind, found it! Need to use /tell and player's login name.

As a feature update, it'd be nice if one could simply click (double-click, or right-click) on a player in the GameLog window and type a message directly to them. This means I don't have to worry about spelling everything correctly.

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

You can truncate the names of your players also.

Like if you had 7 Players with the following names:
    Adam
    Alex
    Chris
    David
    Funnypersonwhotypesalotintheirnamebeforelogingintoyourgame
    George
    Hal

To communicate with Adam:
    /tell adam
    /tell ada
    /tell ad

To communicate with Alex:
    /tell alex
    /tell ale
    /tell al

To communicate with anyone else (since each other name is different at the first letter):

To communicate to Chris:
    /tell chris
    /tell c

To communicate with David:
    /tell david
    /tell d

To communicate with Funnypersonwhotypesalotintheirnamebeforelogingintoyourgame:
    /tell Funnypersonwhotypesalotintheirnamebeforelogingintoyourgame
    /tell f

To communicate with George:
    /tell george
    /tell g

To communicate with Hal:
    /tell hal
    /tell h

4. Dark Lord Galen

Dark Lord Galen New Member

As a recent backer of your kickstarter and this being my first post, I really hate to begin with a negative one (hopefully it is simply oversight on my part)
    BUT
    having multiple tabs for "tell" (IMimg or chatting with a single person) seems redundant and a waste of a good opportunity as they are all identified as the log in name.

It was my first impression that EACH tab could be assigned as the sender/ receiver of a "tell" thus allowing for a circumstance where
    A>a player may have multiple characters on the table
    B> or the DM wishes to separate the conversations of Differing NPCs.
    C> Create a Narrator type of tab that would convey story line.
    To tie the chat ID to the log in misses an opportunity for roleplay immersion and varied characters being simultaneously carrying on conversation that the GAME LOG could consolidate.

PLEASE tell me I am simply overlooking something.

DLG

5. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

we use voip, and most groups do now a days... It's far better... tho, as GM I still use text for block pasting some descriptions and such.. or informing one player some bit of info, that the rest of the party is not privileged too ... this combo works exceeding well..

6. ChrisRevocateur

If you want the NPC's and PC's to appear in the chat log by their names, instead of the player's login names, just select the character you want to talk, and press t.

7. Dark Lord Galen

Dark Lord Galen New Member

Thank you for the rapid response....
    However, verbal communication is not an issue with my players (if anything its too much hehe) we utilize around a table and had the hope that the "talk (chat" feature would eliminate note passing and provide me a better record.
    Thanks again for the suggestion though.

Thanks for the tip... while that certainly fixes one concern (having the Token match the conversation instead of player one) it seems it is only an "ALL" feature is there no way to share information privately between each token?
    For Example, say an NPC Merchant wishers information to one party member but not the rest?

8. ChrisRevocateur

Unfortunately, yeah, that's how it is right now, no whispering with tokens. That might be something to suggest to the developers to add to what they're doing with the game log and player-to-player/player-to-GM chat updates with the new Unlimited system.

9. CorzatTheGray

CorzatTheGray New Member

Agreed.
    As I was looking into this, it seems as though that would be a good thing to add to the Unlimited Roadmap.